Will the cost of college tuition rise in Southern Utah?

Utah Tech University students will see a small tuition increase for the 2024-25 academic year, date not specified | Photo courtesy of Utah Tech University St. George News

ST. GEORGE — The Utah Board of Higher Education recently approved a series of tuition and fee adjustments across the state’s public colleges and universities.

After a review, the board agreed to a 3.3% average tuition increase, which was lower than the initial estimates.

In Southern Utah, Utah Tech University’s tuition will go up 3.82%, a monetary increase of $232.

Bryant Flake, Utah Tech’s executive director of planning and budget, said the university is committed to keeping affordability at the center of its decision-making.

“Our tuition rate is a point of pride for us and we work very efficiently to be able to keep our tuition affordable,” Flake said. “Another major factor that contributes to our low tuition rate is the support we get from the state of Utah.”

Flake said nearly 60% of their general fund budget comes from state appropriations, a “high percentage” when compared with the rest of the nation.

Student enrollment at Southern Utah University increased by over 4.9% to start the 2023-24 academic year, the largest growth of Utah post-secondary institutions, Oct. 17, 2023 | Photo courtesy of Southern Utah University, Cedar City News / St. George News

Southern Utah University

Southern Utah University will adjust tuition by 3%, or $193. This change was proposed at a “Truth in Tuition” meeting led by President Mindy Benson, CFO Mary Pearson and Student Body President Carson Brown.

This is the college’s first tuition increase in five years.

“We have been very methodical, ensuring a student voice was included at every step,” Benson said in a press release. “Our goal is to avoid substantial future increases, which could burden our students significantly.”

Utah has experienced a 6% inflation rate over the last year, which has been difficult to navigate for schools like SUU, which reportedly saw a $5 million increase in operational costs due to inflation. 

SUU’s student association approved an increase in fees to enhance campus resources, including a modest jump in fees for the Community Engagement Center and the Tutoring Center. These adjustments will support the HOPE Pantry, Bread & Soup Nite and enable the tutoring center to increase wages, staff and operational hours.

New fees will be introduced for the testing center, Tradition Keeper initiative and SUU Connect, which aim to bolster networking opportunities for students and alumni.

Dixie Technical College graduates participate in commencement exercises, St. George, Utah, April 27, 2023, at Burns Arena | Photo courtesy of Dixie Technical College, St. George News

Dixie Technical College

Dixie Tech is one of the eight technical colleges under the Utah System of Higher Education that will not see a tuition or fee increase. 

Dixie Technical College President Jordan Rushton said he hopes that not increasing tuition will empower students, strengthen the community and continue to contribute to local industry.

“Our goal is to keep technical education as affordable as possible to provide students with training that enables them to master essential, hands-on skills they can take directly to the workforce,” Rushton said.

Along with the technical colleges, three degree-granting institutions with technical college programs — Utah State University, Snow College and Salt Lake Community College — will not see any increase in technical education tuition and fees.

Listed below are Utah institutions, the percent increase in tuition and the per-student monetary increase.

• Utah Valley University, 3.80% ($238).
  • Salt Lake Community College, 3.98% ($170).
  • Snow College, 3.76% ($157)
  • University of Utah, 3.29% ($338)
  • Utah State University, 3.06% ($254)
  • Weber State University, 2.61% ($167)

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2024, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!