Police: 2 drivers transported to hospital after 1 blows through stop sign in St. George

ST. GEORGE — Two drivers were transported to the hospital on Thursday following a head-on crash on 300 North that took out a light pole and destroyed two vehicles.

Officers and emergency personnel respond to intersection of 300 North and 500 West on two-vehicle crash that injures two drivers, St. George, Utah, Dec. 2, 2021 | Photo by Cody Blowers, St. George News

Shortly after 10 a.m. officers and emergency personnel were dispatched to the corner of 300 North and 500 West on a two-vehicle crash involving a copper-colored Nissan and a gray Infiniti, both single-occupant vehicles.

Upon arrival, emergency responders say both drivers were found trapped inside of their vehicles. Once freed from the mangled wreckage, they were both transported to St. George Regional Hospital in stable condition.

St. George Police Officer Tiffany Mitchell told St. George News that any information as to the severity of the injuries was not available to officers at the scene.

Responders found the Nissan crushed into the large pole supporting the street light that was struck during the crash. The pole was partially dislodged and pushed during impact, which left it leaning at an angle. The impact also damaged the light and photosensor, the device that causes the light to automatically activate when the sun goes down and is located at the top of the fixture. It was found hanging by a wire.

At the time of the crash, the Nissan was heading west on 300 North, while the Infiniti was heading south on 500 West. Mitchell said the Nissan failed to stop at the stop sign and continued through the intersection, where it was struck on the passengers’ side by the Infiniti. The impact sent the Nissan into the power pole and spun the Infiniti around until in came to rest in the middle of the street.

St. George Public Works sent out a crew to make repairs to the light pole and equipment, a task that will take several hours. According to one crew member, the light poles are secured by burying 6 feet of the pole underground, and it takes a great deal of force to push it over at such an angle.

Mitchell said it will cost an estimated $3,000 to repair the pole and light fixture.

Both vehicles were towed from the roadway, and Mitchell said the driver of the Nissan will be cited for failing to stop and at stop sign.

The St. George Police Department sent six patrol units to the scene. St. George Fire Department also responded, along with Gold Cross Ambulance that sent two ambulances to the crash, as well as a crew that was dispatched from the St. George City Public Works Department.

This report is based on statements from police, emergency personnel or other responders and may not contain the full scope of findings. 

Photo Gallery 

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2021, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!