SOUTHERN UTAH — In preparation for flu season, the Southwest Utah Public Health Department will be holding two “Flu Shoot-Out” events in Southern Utah. In Nevada, the Southern Nevada Health District began administering flu shots on Tuesday and will continue until the end of the flu season, approximately June 30.
In Iron County, the Shoot-Out will take place Saturday at the Cedar City Hospital’s Health Fair, which runs from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. In Washington County, the event will be Sept. 27 at the Red Cliffs Mall, with a drive-through for adults 18 and over from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. and a walk-in for all ages between 1-6 p.m.
In addition to preparing residents for the flu season, the Flu Shoot-Outs allow the health department and community partners to practice disease outbreak response plans.
It is currently recommended that everyone over 6 months old get immunized against the flu. However, young children, pregnant women, people over 65 years of age and anyone with chronic health problems are especially encouraged to do so.
Flu activity varies each year, often starting in the fall and peaking in late winter.
The Flu Shoot-Out offers a quick, convenient and inexpensive way to get vaccinated against this serious disease.
In Southern Utah, the cost of the flu vaccine at the Shoot-Outs will be either $20 or free, depending on insurance. Cash, check and credit cards will be accepted. There will be no charge for the vaccine with proof of insurance from any of the following companies: Altius, DMBA, Adult Medicaid, Medicare (depending on HMO), PEHP, SelectHealth, United Healthcare and Tall Tree.
Save time by printing the consent form found at the Southwest Utah Public Health Department’s website. Fill out the form and bring it to the Shoot-Out. Don’t forget to wear a short-sleeved shirt.
In Nevada, the vaccine is $20 for kids 18 years old and younger. The traditional quadrivalent vaccine is available for adults for $41, and a high-dose vaccine is available for adults 65 years old or older for $59. Cash, check, credit cards and debit cards will be accepted.
The Southern Nevada Health District accepts the following insurance plans: Anthem, Cigna, Culinary Union, Health Plan of Nevada, Nevada Medicaid/Check-Up, Sierra Health and Life, Sierra Health Option, Retiree’s Health Trust, and Teacher’s Health Trust health plans. However, check with your insurance provider to find out if the vaccine will be covered completely.
- What: Flu vaccinations.
- Iron County “Flu Shoot-Out”: Saturday, Sept. 24, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Washington County “Flu Shoot-Out”: Tuesday, Sept. 27 | Parking lot drive-through for adults 18 and older, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.; center court walk-in for all ages 1-6 p.m.
- Mesquite flu vaccination: Starting Sept. 20 | Tuesdays and Thursdays: 8 am. to noon, 1-4 p.m.
- Iron County: Cedar City Hospital, 1303 N. Main St., Cedar City.
- Washington County: Red Cliffs Mall, 1770 Red Cliffs Drive, St. George.
- Mesquite: Mesquite Public Health Center, 830 Hafen Lane, Mesquite, Nevada.
- Iron and Washington counties: $20 for the vaccine, or free with certain insurance coverage
- Mesquite: $20 for kids 18 and under; $41 for adults; $59 for seniors | Free with certain insurance coverage. Check with your provider.
Email: [email protected]