SALT LAKE CITY — The public is invited to travel back in time at participating Utah state parks’ “Time Travel Portals” this spring and summer. The Utah Department of Natural Resources State Parks division is hosting a “Time Traveler Selfie Contest” from May 1 to June 30 to get people acquainted with all the fun they can have at their heritage parks and areas and give them a chance at winning a one-year pass to Utah state parks, among other prizes.
Visitors can hobnob with dinosaurs at Utah Field House of Natural History State Park Museum in Vernal. They can pan for gold and decode secret messages written in the Deseret Alphabet at Frontier Homestead State Park Museum in Cedar City. They can recreate the spirited debates of the first Utah legislators or dance a waltz in the hallowed halls of the state’s first official government building at Territorial Statehouse State Park Museum.
Time travelers can experience the architectural and artistic ingenuity of the Utah’s ancient inhabitants at Fremont Indian State Park Museum, Edge of the Cedars State Park Museum and Anasazi State Park Museum. Participants can cowboy up and learn how to rope and ride like they are in the Old West at the Historic Fielding Garr Ranch on Antelope Island State Park. And they can picnic under the 150-year-old apple trees at Historic Huber Grove at Wasatch Mountain State Park.
The most adventurous chronological voyagers can take self-guided trips to Danger Cave, Fort Deseret and Old Iron Town State Park Heritage Areas.
Time travelers wishing to enter the contest must post their favorite selfie on the Utah state parks’ official Facebook page. At the end of June, the staff of each participating heritage park and area will award their favorite Time Traveler Selfie a one-year pass to Utah state parks.
- Frontier Homestead State Park Museum | Cedar City, Utah
- Territorial Statehouse State Park Museum | Fillmore, Utah
- Edge of the Cedars State Park Museum | Blanding, Utah
- Fremont Indian State Park | Sevier, Utah
- Anasazi State Park Museum | Boulder, Utah
- Historic Fielding Garr Ranch at Antelope Island State Park | Syracuse, Utah
- Camp Floyd/Stagecoach Inn State Park Museum | Fairfield, Utah
- Fort Deseret State Park Heritage Area | Delta, Utah
- Danger Cave State Park Heritage Area | Wendover, Utah
- Utah Field House of Natural History State Park Museum | Vernal, Utah
- Historic Huber Apple Orchard and Creamery at Wasatch Mountain State Park | Midway, Utah
For more information and all contest stipulations, visit the Utah Department of Natural Resources State Parks division website.
Email: [email protected]