Unattended oven causes evacuation at The Falls apartment complex

ST. GEORGE — An unlit gas stove left running caused the evacuation of numerous residents from two dozen apartments at The Falls at Mesa Point apartment complex on Mall Drive Friday morning.

Scene of evacuated apartments at The Falls at Mesa Point in St. George, Mar. 4, 2016. | Photo by Don Gilman, St. George News
Scene of evacuated apartments at The Falls at Mesa Point, St. George, Utah, March 4, 2016 | Photo by Don Gilman, St. George News

At approximately 10:30 a.m., emergency responders received a call from Questar Gas about a gas leak in an apartment at The Falls at Mesa Point, located at 368 S. Mall Drive in St. George, firefighter Doug Jansen said. Upon arrival, firefighters began evacuating residents with the assistance of St. George Police and the Mesa Point building maintenance personnel.

“We evacuated approximately 15-20 residents out of 24 units,” Jansen said. “At that point, we had the people upwards of about 100 feet away from the building … It was determined that a resident left a gas stove on that was not burning for an undetermined amount of time.”

“At this point, everything is fine,” Jansen said. “We had two engines from St. George Fire Department respond …. We had approximately nine personnel here.”

Mesa Point resident Kody Lee said he was sleeping when the evacuation began.

“I woke up to banging on the door and getting told there was a gas leak in our apartment complex, and we had to evacuate,” Lee said. “Now we’re all just waiting for more information.”

Nothing appeared out of the ordinary as he evacuated, Lee said.

Questar Gas gave the all-clear at approximately 12:05 p.m.

St. George Fire Department and St. George Police both responded to the scene.

This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2016, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

1 Comment

  • rking March 4, 2016 at 2:49 pm

    I am so grateful that the staff here really cares these apartments are the best we have ever lived in.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.