Suspected burglar dies after getting stuck in California chimney

FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say a suspected burglar has died after getting stuck in a chimney in central California.

Fresno County Sheriff’s Lt. Brandon Pursell said a homeowner in the rural town of Huron heard someone yell after lighting a fire in his fireplace Saturday afternoon and alerted authorities.

Pursell said the homeowner tried to put out the fire as his house began to fill with smoke. Firefighters who rushed to the house used jackhammers to break open the brick chimney, but when they got to the man he died.

Pursell said the man was responsive during the rescue.

Investigators will conduct an autopsy Sunday to determine the man’s identity and the cause of his death.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @STGnews


Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!


  • 42214 November 29, 2015 at 4:49 pm

    What a sad story, not!

  • wilbur November 29, 2015 at 5:09 pm


  • ladybugavenger November 29, 2015 at 6:16 pm

    What kind of idiot attempts to go down a chimney??? Oh well, let this be a lesson, if you plan on going down a chimney in the chilly weather, remember, someone might be lighting a cozy fire. #waytogoraiders

    • .... November 30, 2015 at 8:53 am

      We wont know if it was a tweaker or not.cuz they ain’t a picture to be a lookin at..

      • ladybugavenger November 30, 2015 at 11:09 am

        I know right! But I’ll agree it had to be a tweaker to fit in the chimney!

  • .... November 29, 2015 at 9:21 pm

    Ha ha ha ha ha ha

  • beentheredonethat November 29, 2015 at 10:50 pm

    Ho ho ho cough cough gutglr gurglr…….silence!

  • Common Sense November 30, 2015 at 6:48 am

    How does this relate to St. George news?

    • .... November 30, 2015 at 8:47 am

      It doesn’t. but it seems they ran out of traffic accidents to report

    • sagemoon November 30, 2015 at 9:56 am

      Because I live in St. George and it made me laugh.

    • ladybugavenger November 30, 2015 at 9:59 am

      Alot of idiots live here…perhaps it’s a warning for the potential chimney burglars

  • 42214 November 30, 2015 at 8:23 am

    It’s a warning to our large tweeker population not to try this. It’s a public service message.

  • .... November 30, 2015 at 8:57 am

    I bet Santa is a tweeker. how else could he fit down all those chimney’s

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.