SOUTHERN UTAH — This Wednesday, we celebrate our country’s veterans, as well as all active military personnel. To show these brave men and women how much their service and sacrifice means to us, there are celebrations in Southern Utah and Mesquite, Nevada.
Find an event near you from the list below to celebrate our service men and women.
St. George – SunRiver St. George’s Honor Park Veterans Day parade and ceremony — Nov. 11, 9 a.m.
- SunRiver St. George Honor Park, intersection of Wide River Drive and Diamond River Drive, St. George
St. George – Veterans Day celebration, Dixie State University — Nov. 11, 11 a.m.
- Performance by DSU Chamber Singers, flag raising by DSU ROTC, keynote address by Army Chaplain and DSU instructor David Jones
- Lawn north of the Gardner Center, DSU campus, 225 S. 700 East, St. George
Washington City – Veterans Day parade — Nov. 11, 11:11 a.m.
- Parade route starts at 300 E. Community Center Drive, Washington
- Following parade, program at Veterans Park, 75 E. Telegraph St., Washington
- Luncheon for veterans and family following programs at Veterans Park
Ivins – Veterans Day program — Nov. 11, 1:30-2:30 p.m.
- Speaker, Major Justin Smith, DSU ROTC; Presentation of Colors, National Guard; music, Vista Stringed Orchestra
- Southern Utah Veterans Home, 160 N. 200 East, Ivins
- Event is free and open to the public
Cedar City – Benefit breakfast for veterans — Nov. 11, 8-10 a.m.
- Enjoy a complimentary breakfast; donations are encouraged and 100 percent of all donations will go back to the veterans and their families
- SUU Alumni House, 300 W. University Blvd., Cedar City
- For information, telephone 435-586-1901
Cedar City – Veterans Day and flag retirement ceremony — Nov. 11, 2-3 p.m.
- Three Peaks Elementary School, 1685 W. Midvalley Road, Cedar City
- For information, telephone 435-586-8871
Beaver – Annual veterans luncheon and program — Nov. 11, 11:30 a.m.
- Beaver City Center, 55 W. Center St., Beaver
Mesquite – “Home of the Free because of the Brave” — Nov. 10-18
- Virgin Valley Heritage Museum, 35 W. Mesquite Blvd., Mesquite, Nevada
- Open Tuesday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. | Admission is free
Overton – Moapa Valley Veterans Day parade — Nov. 11, 10 a.m.
- Moapa Valley Library, 350 N. Moapa Valley Blvd., Overton, Nevada
National parks – Veterans Day fee free admission — Nov. 11
- Free admission into the parks will be offered all day to the public
America’s World War II experience
- The National Park Service is unveiling a new website Wednesday that will use national parks to trace America’s World War II experience, from its beginning at Pearl Harbor to its end with the Manhattan Project. It will include lesser-known national park connections to the war, such as the U-boat clashes off the Outer Banks in North Carolina, the fighting on Guam and the battle for the Aleutian Islands in Alaska.
- A section of the site will focus on the home front experience of many Americans and will include the hardships faced by Japanese-Americans, African-Americans and women.
- FamilySearch marks the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War by helping families piece together the stories of courage and sacrifice of veterans hidden from their family’s history. Two new online collections received from the National Archives and Records Administration account for all known casualties in the Southeast Asian combat zone during the Vietnam War era and beyond. The company invites users to search these and over 100 free military collections brought together for Veterans Day to help families more easily locate and learn about their ancestor’s military service online.
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.