News short: Report of gas leak leads to smelly discovery

Firefighters responded to a possible gas leak at a home in St. George and discovered the source of a strange aroma in the home was something quite different, St. George, Utah, Oct. 9, 2015 | Photo by Mori Kessler, St. George News

ST. GEORGE – Firefighters were dispatched to the area of 100 West and 200 South in St. George Friday night in response to a possible gas leak that turned out to be something very different.

The St. George Fire Department was alerted to the potential gas leak around 9 p.m. Residents of the home where it was reported were being evacuated as fire crews arrived at the scene, St. George firefighter Jay Quayle said.

“We shut off the gas to the building and did our checks inside,” Quayle said. “We were unable to find a gas leak, just more of an off smell.”

Residents of the home were allowed back inside once it was determined there was no apparent threat.

The “off smell” was eventually located in the garage. It turned out to be food that had been left out and forgotten and subsequently spoiled.

The odious source of the disturbing aroma was disposed of without incident.

In addition to the St. George Fire Department, Questar Gas and Gold Cross Ambulance also responded to the call.

This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.

Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.

Related posts

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @MoriKessler

Copyright St. George News, LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.


Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!


  • debbie October 10, 2015 at 8:03 am

    lol, maybe we should pay these people for their assisting in extra on the job training for the fire personnel… (just kidding). I personally can totally see how something lie this can happen… <3

  • fun bag October 10, 2015 at 2:06 pm

    as i was reading I thought for sure it would be a rotting corpse

  • .... October 10, 2015 at 7:57 pm

    I was thinking the smell was coming from leftover Squirrel

  • sagemoon October 10, 2015 at 8:19 pm


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.