BROOKSIDE – Fire crews with the Northwestern Special Service District responded to a structure fire in the community of Brookside, located about 20 miles north of St. George, Wednesday night.
Around 8:40 p.m., a large amount of black smoke was reported coming from the second-story window of a home on Sunset Circle in the small community, which is located on state Route 18 just past Veyo.
The Brookside Fire Department, along with the Veyo Fire Department and other responders from surrounding communities, were dispatched to the fire.
When firefighters made it into the second-story room where the smoke was coming from, they discovered the blaze was a relatively tiny electric fire that was torching a multi-outlet adapter, some debris and a beanbag chair.
“They actually stomped the flames out,” Brookside Fire Chief Dan Tamasz said.
The firefighters didn’t have to spray the inside of the house at all, he said.
In order to make sure the fire hadn’t spread elsewhere, firefighters pulled down some of the wall and the ceiling in the room to check, Tamasz said.
The fire is believed to have been triggered by the multi-outlet adapter overheating. The massive amount of smoke was likely caused by plastic material caught in the fire’s path, Tamazs said.
No injuries were reported in connection with the incident, and the home’s occupants were not displaced. However, due to the smoke damage inside the home, Tamasz estimated repair costs could be as high as $25,000.
Overall, though, Tomasz said things turned out well.
“(We’re) really fortunate it wasn’t a fully involved structure (fire),” he said.
This report is based on preliminary information provided by emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.
- Fire tears through Veyo home, displaces family of 6
- Lightning-caused wildfire rapidly spreading, may threaten Veyo, Brookside
- Eleven fire starts in a day, human and lightning caused
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.