IVINS – The St. George Astronomy Group and Ivins City will host a free public star party at Unity Park in Ivins on Thursday evening, weather permitting.
The public is invited to view the sky through telescopes, and learn about the constellations. John Mosley, a member of the astronomy group, will be using a laser pointer to help point out the location of constellations in the sky.
The St. George Astronomy Group is a local astronomy advocacy group with two goals: to reach out to the public through free star parties and other public events, and to help preserve the dark skies over Southern Utah through proper outdoor lighting.
Mosley said that Ivins and Toquerville cities, which both have dark sky ordinances, have been very supportive of the group.
“Both Ivins and Toquerville are very excited,” Mosley said. “They are very encouraging.”
Star parties are also planned for the second week of June, and for the Perseid meteor shower in August, Mosley said.
“Our hope is to host star parties on a regular basis, in more than one location,” Mosley said.
The star party will be held on the lawn at the south side of Unity Park, 400 South in Ivins, midway between 200 West and 400 West. Parking is available on 400 South and in the parking lot one block to the east. The party begins at 9 p.m. and lasts about an hour.
Telescopes will be pointed to the crescent moon, the planets Venus and Jupiter, double stars, star clusters, and distant galaxies. In addition, an astronomer will use a laser to point out bright stars and major constellations.
Note: If the weather is cloudy, the star party will be canceled.
- St. George Astronomy Group is welcoming new members, see their website
- See sun, stars with experts; astronomy group hosts public sun, star party
- Get up early or stay up late, total lunar eclipse; STGNews Videocast
- Partial solar eclipse steals afternoon sky; safety tips, viewing locations, where to buy glasses
- Creeping into the shadow, ‘Blood moon’ total lunar eclipse
- Rare ‘Blood Moon’ eclipse shines on Southern Utah; STGnews Photo Gallery
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.