ST. GEORGE — Every second and fourth Friday, from May 22 to August 28, all are welcomed to come out to the free family movie series “Sunset on the Square” hosted by Write It Up! and the City of St. George.
At Town Square in the heart of St. George, “Sunset on the Square” is now in its seventh year providing quality family entertainment to locals and tourists alike.
Each event features a free movie in the park on a giant outdoor movie screen, games, prizes, food, face painting, water balloon challenge and dancing.
Movies will start at dusk with the fun beginning around 5 p.m. at Town Square Park, 175 E. 200 North, St. George.
“‘Sunset on the Square’ has become a staple event in St. George,” Dawn McLain, owner of Write It Up!, said. “We’re known for family-friendly fun, prizes, movies and so much more. Over the years, I have really enjoyed watching our young ‘Sunset on the Square’ fans grow up, and I look forward to seeing them throughout the summer.”
“Sunset on the Square” has been a huge success, drawing large crowds of almost 2,000 at each movie, especially special event nights such as this year’s season kickoff, nonprofit night, pioneer games and St. George chamber night.
- May 22 | Big Hero 6 | PG | 93 minutes
- June 12 | Mr. Peabody and Sherman | PG | 92 minutes
- June 26 | Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory | G | 98 minutes
- July 10 | The Lego Movie | PG | 100 minutes
- July 24 | Three Amigos | PG | 103 minutes
- August 14 | Wreck it Ralph | PG | 108 minutes
- August 28 | The Legend of Zorro | PG | 136 minutes
Special event nights
Season kickoff has two pre-viewing events on May 22, which include the Girls On the Run First Annual Race, starting at 4:30 p.m., and the Third Annual Cherry Creek Country Showdown starting at 6 p.m.
The City of St. George will also be featuring a new program, Bike In Downtown, launching in recognition of National Bike Month. The program will feature the Active Transportation Committee offering free valet service to all residents who bike in for the evening’s festivities. In addition, all bikers will receive exclusive downtown coupons.
June 26 is nonprofit night with discounts and spotlighting for nonprofit organizations. This night will help the nonprofit organizations promote their mission, vital programs and services they provide in our communities.
On Pioneer Day, July 24, there will be the Pioneer Day Games prior to the show with prizes, fun and something for everyone ages zero to 100. It will be a family field day-style program with fireworks to follow the movie.
August 28 is chamber night and the grand finale of the season. Chamber members receive special rates for booths, and recognition of their efforts to build and support local businesses.
Sponsors and vendors
As a community event, there are no charges to attend and enjoy. Without sponsors and vendors, the event would not be possible year after year. Support from the business community plays a vital role in making the event possible.
Many sponsorship packages are available to fit every budget. For information about participating or sponsorship opportunities, contact Dawn McLain at 702-860-2341 or [email protected].
- What: Sunset on the Square
- When: May 22 – August 28, second and fourth Friday, 5 p.m.
- Where: Town Square, 175 E. 200 North, St. George
- Contact: Dawn McLain, 702-860-2341 or [email protected]
- Layne Garner Family opens Hurricane Valley’s Concerts in the Park series
- Summer eSmart Camp makes girls ‘detectives of the past,’ exploring archaeology
- Summertime in Town Square: St. George ‘Frozen;’ STGnews Videocast – 2014
Email: [email protected]