SALT LAKE CITY — Special Olympics Utah athletes from the south area will compete in the Track and Field Area Games at Desert Hills High School Saturday in preparation for the Special Olympics Utah Summer Games at Lone Peak High School on June 12-13.
Track and Field Area Games consist of a variety of athletic events. Track events include runs, walks, assisted walks and dashes of various distances, four by 100 relays and a Unified Sports Relay. Field events include long jump, standing long jump, shot put, ball throw for distance, turbo jav and softball throw.
Volunteer opportunities are available for the South Area Track and Field Area Games. Visit this link to sign up for a volunteer spot.
Special Olympics Utah hosts area games year-round to give athletes an opportunity to test their athletic ability and prepare to compete in the Fall Sports Classic and Summer Games. In preparation for Summer Games, the South Area will be the fifth to host Area Games, followed by the Metro Areas.
- 7:30 a.m., Volunteer check-in
- 8:15 a.m., Team check-in
- 8:45 a.m., Opening ceremonies
- 9 a.m., Competition begins
About Special Olympics Utah
Special Olympics Utah provides free year-round training and competition in eight sports for more than 2,500 participants living in Utah. With the support of more than 3,500 volunteers and the generosity of Utah citizens, corporations and local businesses, Special Olympics Utah is able to offer many events annually to individuals with intellectual disabilities. Participation with other athletes, partners (typically developing peers), coaches, sponsors and volunteers builds confidence and creates opportunities to participate as productive and respected members of society by increasing public awareness of the athletes’ capabilities. Special Olympics Utah is 90% privately funded through donations contributed locally.
Event details and resources
- What: Track and Field Area Games
- When: Saturday, May 16, 7:30 a.m.
- Where: Desert Hills High School, 828 East Desert Hills Drive, St. George
- Special Olympics Utah website
- Plungers hit ice-chilled waters for Special Olympics Utah; STGnews Videocast
- St. George News, SWAT jump for a good cause, raise money for Special Olympics
- Special Olympics torch travels through Washington County; STGnews Photo Gallery
- Local law enforcement, city officials to carry Special Olympics torch
- Polar Plunge for Special Olympics makes a big splash; STGnews Videocast, Photo Gallery
- St. George police ‘protect and serve’ Special Olympics athletes; Torch Run through Utah
- Polar Plungers brave chilled waters for Special Olympics; STGnews Videocast
- Polar Plunge to raise money for Special Olympics
- Utah Special Olympics Torch Run
Email: [email protected]