ST. GEORGE – Wednesday was Earth Day, Friday was National Arbor Day, communities held celebrations, people planted trees and “No Filter Show” Co-Hosts Paul Ford and Grady Sinclair went for a swing about the urban forest in Utah’s Dixie.
Onetime St. George City Forester and all around tree know-it-all guy Mark Hodges introduced the boys to what might be the oldest tree in Dixie, how one St. George landscape architect (and volunteer firefighter) repurposed an old palm tree stump, why there is so much pollen in St. George, and where to take those leaves and limbs when the bough breaks (or freezes) … “reuse” anyone?
For “tree”mendous trivia, click play
About Mark Hodges
Hodges won an entrepreneurial contest at Dixie High School, in his youth, being awarded $3,000 for running his own professional tree service. That tree service is ongoing today: Arbor Tech Tree Service. He has worked for the City of St. George as its city forester, served on the city’s shade tree board, holds a degree in arboriculture (the study of trees) from then Dixie College, holds the title of master gardener and other such certifications. In addition, he has taught classes and seminars on plants, trees and similar things.
- Arbor Tech Tree Service | Arborist Mark Hodges | Email [email protected] | Telephone 435-632-0972
- Riverbend Landscape | John Costanza | Email [email protected] | Telephone 435-862-8317 | About Costanza PS Associates and Riverbend Landscape LC
- Utah Allergy Info: Intermountain Allergy
- Historical Pollen Info: National Allergy Bureau
- Southwest Allergy and Asthma | 515 South 300 East, Suite 101, St. George | Telephone 435-688-1128
- Allergies rising, allergenic trees in Southern Utah, what to do; STGnews Videocast
- Warm winter can wreak havoc on trees, plants, shrubs; STGnews Videocast
- Bee season: Balls of bees in trees, swarms; what you need to know
- Will Dixie’s palm trees survive the freeze?
- 150 years, 150 trees rooting for the City of St. George’s legacy
- The Top Four Problems Impairing Trees and Shrubs in Southern Utah
- No Filter: Where the Redwood grows in Dixie
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.