Relationship Connection: My husband won’t let me help him with his medications

Illustration | Image by St. George News


My husband has some chemical imbalances from his childhood, it appears.  He was diagnosed as an adult with ADHD, or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. He then began exhibiting severe anxiety and would not sleep for days.  He also suffers from depression. He lost his previous marriage and eventually lost his law practice.

My husband has been “treated” with a host of medications. I am his third wife and we married 18 months ago. Now that I have actually been living with him, I have seen the behaviors he cannot hide.

He appears to have developed immunity to his current medications. His behavior is now to the point that all he does is stir up contention, argue, and won’t let anyone speak. He doesn’t listen and interrupts. He says I am abusing him and blames me, everything else and other things instead of himself for his issues.

I do not know what to do to help him. He threatened me that if I discuss his medications with anyone we are through.

He refuses to allow me to go with him to his doctor visits. I would like to sit down with my husband’s doctor, but I want to be sure the doctor will help him and/or refer him to a reputable psychiatrist or neurologist and not drop him as a patient.

I want to help my husband, but he doesn’t want my help. He wants to blame me as the reason he is taking all these meds. What can I do?  Should I give up on trying to be there for him and let him figure it out?


Your husband needs to be in charge of his own mental and physical health. Even though you can do things to assist him by attending doctor appointments and researching solutions, he is ultimately in charge of the train of consequences that follow self-neglect.

Even though you might have all of the answers and know what to do to best help him, if he isn’t interested in what you have to say, there is nothing you can do to force him to get medical help. The only exception to this rule is if he poses as a serious danger to himself or others and needs to be admitted to a hospital or psychiatric unit. In that case, you would contact the police and have them intervene.

It’s awful to stand by and watch a loved one self-destruct and then blame it on you. If he’s not open to getting professional help from counselors or physicians, then I recommend you find a good counselor who can help you learn to set healthy boundaries so you can navigate the maze of options you have in front of you.

While you are powerless to move him toward treatment, you are never powerless to make decisions about your own life and how you will respond to him. Make sure you’re not minimizing any safety concerns. If he’s been aggressive or made physical threats or gestures toward you or those you love, make sure to take measures to protect yourself. If he is impulsive and aggressive, you don’t want to put yourself in harm’s way.

If he still wants to be in a relationship with you, then you can decide what you’re willing to do and not do in relation to him. Perhaps you need space and want to sleep in separate rooms. Perhaps you refuse to engage in arguments or conversations unless they’re respectful. You can teach him how you expect to be treated.

Don’t expect boundaries to automatically change his behavior. That’s not the goal. Instead, think of boundaries as a statement of where you will stop. You don’t have to chase him down and make him behave. You can stand back and stay centered in a place of health so you can keep your sanity. From this place, you’ll make better decisions about where to go.

Stay connected!

Related posts

Geoff Steurer is a licensed marriage and family therapist in private practice in St. George, Utah. He specializes in working with couples in all stages of their relationships. The opinions stated in this article are solely his and not those of St. George News.

Have a relationship question for Geoff to answer? Submit to:

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @geoffsteurer


Copyright St. George News, LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!


  • fun bag April 15, 2015 at 12:29 pm

    sounds like he’s suffering from a porn addiction. Get him to Geoff’s office ASAP!

  • beentheredonethat April 15, 2015 at 5:56 pm

    The correct answer would be to leave. If he’s on anti depressants and anti anxiety pills andccan’t sleep the docs are going to get him on sleeping pills as well. Hes dependent (addicted to) that crap. The drugs are far more important than you. RUN!!!!!!!!!!!

  • Car4sale April 15, 2015 at 6:07 pm

    It doesn’t take 2 people to roll a joint and load up a crack pipe

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.