SANTA CLARA – Firefighters responded to a structure fire Wednesday morning at 1568 N. Hilltop Dr. in Santa Clara after a fire broke out in a shed, and then spread to a neighboring structure used as an in-home preschool.
The fire began just before 11 a.m., and was allegedly caused by a welding spark.
Windy weather conditions quickly fanned the flames, which destroyed the shed and spread the fire into the walls of the preschool building, Santa Clara Fire Chief Dan Nelson said.
Skylar Carlson, 19, said he was welding in the shed and then stepped out to work in the driveway. When he turned around the whole shed was on fire.
“I walked over there, and the inside was on fire,” Carlson said, “I called 911 and got everyone out of the preschool that was in there.”
The preschool was in session, Carlson said, but all the occupants were able to evacuate.
“The preschool students and teacher were able to get out and to a safe location rapidly,” Nelson said, “there were no injuries as a result of that.”
Carlson said everyone was feeling “just down, (but) everything will be alright. Everyone’s OK.”
Santa Clara Fire Department initially responded to the scene. Ivins Fire Department and St. George Fire Department were also called to the fire, Nelson said, for additional manpower. Santa Clara-Ivins Police Department and Ivins Ambulance also responded to the blaze.
It is not yet known how much property damage was done to the shed and the preschool building, said Chad Holt, public information officer for the Santa Clara-Ivins Police Department.
This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.
Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.
- Super Bowl interrupted by structure fire in Santa Clara home; STGnews Videocast
- Santa Clara Fire Department receives award from state agency
- House fire in Santa Clara causes $40,000 in damage, displaces 3
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.