ST. GEORGE – Calling all volleyball players and fans! The City of St. George is hosting a large, outdoor, two-on-two volleyball tournament to be held Saturday at Vernon Worthen Park, 300 S. 400 East in St. George.
The “Spring Fling” tournament is the first in a season of tournaments put on by the Utah Outdoor Volleyball Association, Michelle Graves, sports coordinator for City of St. George recreation, said. St. George also bookends the season with its “Fall Finale,” Graves said.
The tournament is open to any teams wanting to play, Graves said, and will feature amateurs as well as professionals.
Over 30 nets will grace the lawn and sand at Vernon Worthen Park with the lowest divisions playing in grass and the professionals taking it to the sand.
Matches will also be held on the Elks baseball fields as well as on the sand court at Sand Hollow Aquatic Center in St. George.
Spectators are welcome to come cheer on their friends or to watch as professionals like two-time Olympian Jake Gibb exhibit their prowess on the court.
Born in Utah, Gibb competed in beach volleyball in both the Beijing and London Summer Games, he said.
The qualifying World Tour for the 2016 Summer Games in Rio de Jeneiro, Brazil, begins in May, but for now, Gibbs said, he is just enjoying himself.
“This is 100 percent just a fun tournament,” Gibb said, “to play with the guys I used to play with when I was just starting.”
Registration for the “Spring Fling” tournament is in full swing and can be done online. To register a team of two is $50 with a Utah Outdoor Volleyball Association membership or $70 without a membership.
Registration includes a shirt and a lunch and will close at noon on Friday.
- What: Utah Outdoor Volleyball Association “Spring Fling” Tournament
- When: Saturday, April 11, all day
- Where: Vernon Worthen Park, 300 S. 400 East, St. George
- Cost: With association membership: $50 | Without association membership: $70 | Spectators: Free
- Register: Registration can be done online here and must be done before noon on Friday, April 10
- Resources: Website | Telephone: 435-627-4571
- Sunbowl sees expanded use, pending agreement for girls rugby
- Over 1,000 aggressive bees swarm baseball field; 1 man sent to hospital
- St. George Half Marathon kicks off 2015 running season; 2,000 racers expected
- Up-and-coming force in collegiate volleyball, DSU student athlete profile: Hannah Harrah – 2014
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.