HURRICANE – The first half of the 46th annual Dixie Downs horse races wrapped up at the Washington County Regional Park Saturday. The second half of the races will take place April 18, also at the regional park, at 1 p.m.
Below are the winners of the four races held Saturday, plus the overall winner:
- Race 1: Finnish N First
- Race 2: On Fire
- Race 3: Fantastic and Cute
- Race 4: Paint Me Bay
The overall winner was On Fire with a time of 15.985
The top eight finishers from Saturday’s races will advance to the races on April 18, race secretary Jennifer Hall said.
The April 18 races will also showcase thoroughbreds and a couple other maiden races, race chairman Ryan Bowers said.
The Dixie Downs horse racing event is hosted by the St. George Lions Club and is held at Washington County Region Park, also known as the Washington County Fairgrounds, located at 5500 W. 700 South in Hurricane.
Seating for the races is on aluminum grandstands. Bowers recommends bringing an umbrella for shade.
The Lions Club is a charitable, service-oriented club that sponsors many organizations and individuals in the community – from breast cancer research to scholarships and more. Proceeds from the horse races as well as all Lions Clubs events go directly to helping others.
On a point of horse racing trivia, have you ever wondered where race horses get their names? Hall said the names tend to be blends of the names of the horse’s parents, which can result in some interesting combinations.
St. George News reporter Hollie Reina contributed to this article.
- What: 46th running of the Dixie Downs horse races
- When: Saturday, April 18, 1 p.m.
- Where: Washington County Regional Park, 5500 W. 700 South, Hurricane
- Cost: Adults: $6 | Under 12: $4
- Additional information: Concessions will be available. Seats are not shaded or padded.
- Lions Club hosts 46th annual Dixie Downs horse races
- Racing on the ridge attracts drag fans; STGnews Videocast
- Lions ‘in the pink’ give $12,000 to hospital’s cancer center; STGnews Videocast
- St. George Lions: Living legacies of service
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.