ST. GEORGE– St. George News readers and friends are invited to join us in sponsoring and cheering on the St. George Police Department SWAT team and our own Senior Reporter Mori Kessler as they take the plunge into icy cold St. George City Pool waters Saturday at the Polar Plunge for Special Olympics Utah.
Hosted by Special Olympics Utah and supported by Utah’s Law Enforcement, the Polar Plunge is a unique opportunity for individuals, organizations and businesses to support Special Olympics Utah athletes by raising money through sponsorships and their own donations for the privilege of jumping into frigid water.
This year the St. George Police Department and the Washington County Sheriff’s Office are teaming up to benefit thousands of children and adults in Utah with intellectual disabilities who develop improved physical fitness, motor skills, self-confidence and a more positive self-image as a result of receiving training and participating in competition programs – all at no cost.
St. George Police SWAT Sgt. Spencer Holmes said he is excited to take part in the event and that he thinks it is a great charity, supporting local Special Olympic athletes, as well as the Healthy Athletes Program that helps provide much needed medical and dental care to those athletes that may otherwise not be able to afford it.
“It is also a chance for our team to come together with our own families present and be a part of a positive community event,” Holmes said. “Our SWAT team is lucky to have the support of our community and city officials, and we look forward to this event every year to return that support back.”
A Sheriff’s pancake breakfast will be served at 10 a.m. with hot cocoa and coffee, bagels and sandwiches provided by Einstein Bros. and Chick-fil-A.
Anyone interested in supporting this cause may bring a sponsorship or donation check to the event payable to SOUT (Special Olympics Utah).
Event details and contact information
- When: Saturday, Feb. 21, at 10 a.m.
- Where: St. George City Pool, 250 E. 700 South, St. George
- Registration: Online at 2015 St. George Polar Plunge
- Cost: The registration fee is $10 and then participants must raise or bring a minimum of $50 for adults or $40 for students
- Contact: Jennie Vuich | Telephone: 801-363-1111 | Email: [email protected]
- Chilly Dip makes a splash for sports; STGnews Videocast
- Polar Plunge for Special Olympics makes a big splash; STGnews Videocast, Photo Gallery
- Polar Plungers brave chilled waters for Special Olympics; STGnews Videocast
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.