PHOENIX — The Internal Revenue Service announced Thursday the release of IRS2Go 5.0, an update to the only official IRS smartphone application, compatible with both Apple and Android devices.
The app is available for download IRS2Go free of charge for Android devices from the Google Play Store or from the Apple App Store for Apple devices. Use it to check your refund status, watch the IRS YouTube channel, find free tax preparation help, get IRS news as soon as it’s released, subscribe to filing season updates or daily tax tips, and follow the IRS Twitter news feed, @IRSnews, to get the latest federal tax news, including information about tax law changes and important IRS programs.
“The new version of IRS2Go provides taxpayers another way to quickly get information and help around the clock,” said John Koskinen, IRS Commissioner. “The IRS is focused on providing taxpayers with convenient self-service tools like IRS2Go, but it’s important to remind taxpayers to only use official IRS products to safeguard their personal information.”
Users who have already downloaded past versions of IRS2Go should make sure to update their devices with the most current official- and completely free-version of the app by visiting the Apple App or Google Play Store.
The newest version of the free mobile app offers a number of safe and secure ways for taxpayers to access other popular tools and the most up-to-date tax information, including:
- Refund Status | Taxpayers can check the status of their federal tax refund through IRS2Go. People simply enter their Social Security number, which will be masked and encrypted for security purposes, then select their filing status and enter the amount of their anticipated refund for their 2014 tax return.
- Free Tax Prep Providers | The IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly Programs offer free tax help for taxpayers who qualify. This brand new tool on IRS2Go will help taxpayers find the nearest volunteer tax help site to their home by simply entering their zip code and selecting a mileage range. By clicking on the directions button within the results, the maps application on the device will load with the address, making it easy to navigate to your desired location.
- Stay Connected | Taxpayers can interact with the IRS by following the IRS on Twitter, @IRSnews or @IRSenEspanol, watching helpful videos on YouTube, signing up for email updates, or by using the Contact Us feature.
- IRS warns Utahns: Beware of ‘biggest refund in town’ promise
- IRS Free File helps Utah taxpayers with new health care law
- IRS warns about tax-related ID theft, phone scams
Email: [email protected]