ST. GEORGE — The Celebrity Concert Series invites all to dress up and come ready to enjoy great American music from 100 years ago performed by Mimi Blais Feb. 10 in the Dixie State University Cox Performing Arts Center, 385 S. 700 East in St. George, and proceeds from this special fundraising event will benefit the Celebrity Concert Series Scholarship Fund.
The evening will be filled with ragtime music and the unparalleled charm of Blais, who hails from Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
Blais has received several nicknames during her career, according to a press release from Celebrity Concert Series: “The female Victor Borge”; “the Celine Dion of the keyboard”; “the French Canadian Liberacette”; but the one she is most proud to wear, she said, is “the Queen of Ragtime.”
After completing her classical training at the Quebec Conservatory of Music and McGill University in Montreal, Blais left the beaten path to discover music where classical, folk, jazz, modern, blues, tango and ragtime all blend together. Her career has been filled with passion and has led her to perform all over the world.
As a musical performer, composer, arranger, writer, comedian and singer whose imagination knows no bounds, Blais is in high demand for her tremendous talent and joyful personality.
The fundraiser will be an intimate performance held on the stage of the Cox Performing Arts Center. Guests will be seated onstage with the performer and will get an up-close view of Blais’ musical genius and comedic charm.
The evening will feature a festive atmosphere, hors d’oeuvres, costumes and entertainment. Guests are encouraged to dress up in 1900- to 1920s-era costumes, and prizes will be given for the best dressed audience members. The grand prize for best costume will be a season membership to the Celebrity Concert Series.
Tickets to the event are $35 per person, and seating is limited. Additional donations will be accepted. Proceeds go directly to the Celebrity Concert Series Scholarship Fund, which provides annual scholarship money to performing arts students attending Dixie State University.
- What: “Ragtime,” starring Mimi Blais
- When: Feb. 10, 6:30 p.m.
- Where: DSU Cox Performing Arts Center, 385 S. 700 East, St. George
- Tickets: $35 | Tickets can be purchased online, in person at the DSU Ticket Office inside the Cox Performing Arts Center, or by phone at 435-652-7800. Seating is limited; advance ticket purchase is recommended.
- DSU Sustainability Club rallies for clean air awareness in Utah; STGnews Videocast
- Retired judge shares ‘Tales of the Circuit Court’ at Dixie State’s President’s Colleagues Meeting
- Dixie State offers Zion National Park experiential learning program
Email: [email protected]