HURRICANE – Four-wheel drive enthusiasts will gather Jan. 23-24 for the “Winter 4×4 Jamboree,” an off-road and rock crawling event expected to draw hundreds of participants and combine fun with fundraising for land use organizations.
Southern Utah is fast becoming known for its rock-crawling trails, which are as challenging and fun as Moab trails, only a lot closer to town.
Many of the Jamboree trails are extreme, but easier trails, suitable for stock vehicles, are also on the schedule.
The event offers easy scenic routes for stock vehicles, medium-difficulty trails for modified vehicles, and extreme routes for the hard-core enthusiasts. Both novice and experienced drivers with four-wheel drive vehicles are invited to attend.
The Winter 4×4 Jamboree will be headquartered at the Washington County Regional Park, or fairgrounds, 5500 W. 700 South in Hurricane.
Activities include trail rides, breakfast and dinner at the fairgrounds, and a fundraising raffle Saturday night of the event weekend.
The winter event is sponsored this year by the nonprofit Desert Roads and Trails Society – Desert RATS. All profits will be donated to the Utah Public Lands Alliance and other public land use groups.
The Desert Roads and Trails Society is, according to its website, a family-friendly, inclusive community for anyone who enjoys getting out to enjoy Southern Utah and the surrounding areas.
Most event trails are located adjacent to Sand Hollow State Park, in the Sand Mountain off-highway vehicle area. The Bureau of Land Management has designated the Sand Mountain area specifically for open travel by off-road vehicles. Most public lands don’t allow this type of use, and Desert RATS encourages all users to be aware of and respect land use restrictions, club president Jeff Bieber Sr. said.
Those participating do so at their own risk. The “Winter 4X4 Jamboree” website states: “The W4x4J, its sponsors and supporters and public land management agencies cannot be responsible or liable for any accidents or mishaps, or personal or property damage which occurs during this event.”
This event is not set up for and does not lend itself to spectators.
- What: Winter 4×4 Jamboree, sponsored by Desert Roads and Trails Society – Desert RATS
- When: Jan. 23-24
- Where: Meet at Washington County Regional Park (fairgrounds), 5500 W. 700 South in Hurricane
- How to register: Online until Jan. 21 at 7 p.m. | In-person at the fairgrounds Jan. 22 from 5-8 p.m. or Jan. 23-24 from 7-8 a.m.
- Cost: $100 per vehicle – includes two days of guided trail rides, all state and BLM fees, one dinner and one T-shirt. Additional dinners and T-shirts can be purchased at the event
- Fundraising raffle | Jan. 24 following the dinner | Public invited; participation in the event is not required to attend the raffle
- Winter on the Rocks at Sand Mountain, rivaling Moab; STGnews Videocast, Photo Gallery – 2014
- No mercy, Winter on the Rocks all levels rock crawling weekend event – 2013
- WORCS offroad event’s dusty thrills, spills on Sand Mountain – 2013
- Winter on the Rocks off-road event seeks to build public lands awareness – 2012
- High turn out at Winter on the Rocks – 2012
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.