WASHINGTON – Unattended laundry at the 1 Stop Laundromat caught fire in a dryer, causing fire alarms to go off and emergency responders to attend to the scene.
“It browned the wall above the dryer a little bit, but it didn’t really get any of the structure. It was just damage to the one dryer,” Washington City Fire Chief Brent Hafen said. “They put their clothes in there and then they went shopping. When they came back, it was still tumbling so they just waited then it started smoking.”
The fire was contained within one dryer, limiting damage to only one unit. Two Washington City fire engines and 10 firefighters, as well as Washington City Police and Gold Cross Ambulance all responded to the fire.
A Washington City firefighter happened to be driving by, and stopped and shut electricity off to the building to shut the dryer off, Hafen said. “Once the engines got here, they went in with a hose line and took the clothing out.”
There were no injuries reported at this incident. People in the laundromat used a fire extinguisher to extinguish flames, but because there was so much smoke Hafen said it was better that they exited the building and let the firefighters handle the situation.
This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.
Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.
- Fire Chief gives reminders for holiday fire safety, tips for tree disposal
- News short: Crayon blaze causes home evacuation
- North Zone fire managers plan additional pile burns
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.