ST. GEORGE — Starbucks Coffee Company employees and customers were temporarily evacuated in St. George Tuesday afternoon after an employee smelled a natural gas odor inside the store.
At about 4:11 p.m., the St. George Fire Department, Gold Cross Ambulance and Questar Gas responded to the Starbucks location at 158 N. Red Cliffs Drive after an employee smelled gas in the building and reportedly developed a headache because of the odor, St. George Fire Capt. Rick Nelson said.
(report continues below)
Videocast by Holly Coombs, St. George News
All Starbucks employees and customers were evacuated from the store while Questar responders evaluated the gas connection, which they ultimately found had no problem.
“It may have been the smell from a natural gas vehicle going through the drive-up window,” Nelson said.
The employee who originally complained of a headache was checked out by Gold Cross Ambulance responders on scene and declined further medical care. All Starbucks employees were able to go back to work, Nelson said.
“Everything is wonderful,” he said. “(Customers) can go in and buy all the espresso they need.”
This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.
- News short: Crayon blaze causes home evacuation
- Burnt dinner prompts building evacuation
- Smoky smell causes business evacuation
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.