ST. GEORGE – Six individuals, ranging from 17-23 years of age, ended up in the hospital Saturday morning after displaying drug overdose symptoms following a Friday night party.
The initial overdose call came in at 9:40 a.m. Saturday, St. George Police Sgt. Sam Despain said, reporting that a 17-year-old female was experiencing a possible drug overdose at the Rebel’s Roost Apartments, a Dixie State University off-campus housing complex located at 83 S. 1000 East in St. George.
It was additionally reported that five other individuals – males and females – in the housing complex were either unresponsive or very sick and vomiting, Despain said.
“These individuals had reportedly been to a party and had taken something which we think had led to cause them to be sick,” he said.
St. George Police began an investigation into the incident and obtained a search warrant to search the housing unit for the substance or substances that had been used.
“We recovered what we expect to be hash oil, which is a derivative of marijuana,” Despain said, “and it is what we believe contributed to those individuals becoming ill.”
Two of the individuals were transported by ambulance to Dixie Regional Medical Center in St. George, Despain said, and four others were transported by private vehicle to the emergency room – all with the same symptoms of being sick and vomiting. All were suspected of ingesting what police believe to be the hash oil.
“When (emergency responders) got there,” St. George Police Lt. Joe Hartman said, “they were told that they had a woman who had taken some prescription drugs. After looking into it further, they didn’t believe that was the case, and later learned that multiple people in the apartment complex had taken what they believed was some highly concentrated THC (tetrahydrocannabinol, the active constituent of marijuana and hashish).”
In addition to the hash oil, several items of drug paraphernalia were located during the search, Hartman said.
Despain didn’t rule out the possibility that the hash oil was compounded or mixed with another substance but said that has yet to be determined.
“We’re still interviewing those involved and people that were there, trying to determine who and how they got this substance, and looking at all possibilities of whether there were any other drugs involved – that may be the case. However, right now, it’s still under investigation,” Despain said.
At the time of this publication, no arrests have been made. Nonetheless, charges may be pending when the investigation concludes, he said.
Despain added he did not know the current condition of the six individuals at the time this report is published.
This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.
Ed. note: Views on the safety and possible side effects of marijuana vary. Full analysis of alternate views and medical studies is beyond the scope of this report.
- Judge dismisses drug charges; good Samaritans don’t finish last
- Woman arrested after reporting overdose; no Good Samaritan Law immunity?
- Man arrested after overdosing on heroin at Coronada Inn & Suites
- Overdose law gives immunity to drug-using good Samaritans; Washington County statistics
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.