NEWS LIVE: This report contains news live as it develops and is being updated continuously. Bookmark and refresh the page periodically for updates. UPDATED 9:45 a.m. – photo of street where incident is taking place, taken at 9:30 a.m. note SWAT is no longer out on the street. UPDATED 10:05 a.m. with comment from Rite Aid supervisor (noted in bold burnt red). UPDATED 10:45 a.m. see updates in burnt read as of 10 a.m. and 10:45 a.m. and 10:48 a.m. and 10:50 a.m. and 10:56 a.m. see section “Unfolding incident – updates” – last update 11:35 a.m. photos added.
Our full update with post-incident police spokesman interview will follow separately.
ST. GEORGE – At 12:30 a.m. Tuesday, the St. George Communications Center received a report of shots being fired in a residential area of downtown St. George, near 500 East and St. George Boulevard. The subject firing the gun is contained within a residence, a statement released by St. George Police just before 6:30 a.m. states.
As of about 7:15 a.m., St. George Police Capt. Mike Giles said that no shots had been fired for a couple hours and there had been no response from inside the residence, a residential trailer, where the subject is holed up.
“At this point, no injuries have been reported,” Giles said in his 7:15 a.m. media conference.
Police had no details on the individual involved to report at 7:15 a.m., but Giles said the Department’s researchers are trying to figure out what they can about the person.
“He’s in the home,” Giles said. “He hasn’t responded to our presence or our attempts to communicate with him.”
Command staff will determine what the safest and most appropriate course of action will be to resolve the situation, Giles said.
Unfolding incident – updates
At about 10 a.m. a woman who appears to be an officer has been at the scene with a bullhorn, apparently attempting to communicate with the subject.
At 10:45 a.m. what sounds like shouting can be heard from the scene; by 10:48 a.m. shouting has subsided. At 10:50 a.m. shouting and what sounds like use of the bullhorn has resumed.
At 10:56 a.m. SWAT appears to have just drawn nearer the scene; two loud bangs could be heard, although note: It is unclear if those were perhaps tear gas or something else creating the bangs.
At 10:58 a.m. and 11 a.m. SWAT appears to have returned to their truck; something was fired into the residence and there is more shouting that can be heard from the bullhorn.
At about 11:12 a.m. the suspect is out of the trailer and on the ground surrounded by SWAT.
At about 11:10 a.m. another loud bang from SWAT is heard and the lady on the bullhorn can be heard telling the subject to come out. Suspect appears to be an older male.
At about 11:15 a.m. the suspect is taken into custody.
At about 11:20 a.m. St. George Police posted the following update regarding the situation:
The situation at 600 East Boulevard has been resolved. Negotiations with the subject ended with lack of further responses from the subject. O.C. Powder was injected into the trailer. Shorty after the introduction of the pepper spray powder the subject peacefully exited the residence and surrendered to officers. Detectives from the St. George Police Department will be conducting a follow up investigation.
At 11:35 a.m. St. George Police clarified that O.C. powder is is pepper spray in a powdered form. On scene, police advised that some of the area residents that had been evacuated are being allowed to return home.
St. George Police Department command staff, SWAT team and crisis negotiators, as well as support from St. George Fire Department, are among those responding to the incident.
St. George Boulevard was closed between 400 and 700 East for a few hours while the situation was stabilized. It has since been opened.
Rite-Aid, Perks! and the parking area associated with those businesses are closed at this time. The areas remaining closed off are just because they could be in the line of fire if the subject came out, Giles said.
At about 10 a.m. Rite Aid supervisor / manager Tessa Brown said, “We always have crazy stuff happen here,” and said that workers are unable to come to work, Tuesday, due to the standoff.
Voluntary evacuation has taken place for about 20 residents from the block on which the incident is occurring, Giles said, including one hotel or motel. At 8 a.m. people are walking around the Sand Motel at 581 E. St. George Blvd. depicted in photos attached to this report.
The Red Cross has opened up a support center for the evacuees, helping out with services, supplies and shelter, Giles said.
This is a developing story.
Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.