ST. GEORGE – The St. George Fire Department responded to what was initially reported as a structure fire Wednesday, only to discover that the reported smoke was coming from overcooked food left on a stove.
“When crews arrived on scene, there was light smoke showing,” St. George Fire Battalion Chief Ken Guard said.
At least three fire engines and their crews were dispatched to a fourplex, located at 50 South 600 East in St. George, around 4:20 p.m.
Smoke was coming from one of the upstairs apartments and the occupants of the building had been evacuated.
The first fire crew on the scene entered the apartment and encountered heavier smoke inside. They then found the source of the smoke.
“No flames,” Guard said, “just food cooked on the on the stove, completely. The crew told me the pot was melted to the stove.”
The stove was subsequently shut off and the apartment was ventilated. Outside of the building it was hard to miss the smell of the overcooked food.
No injuries were reported in the incident.
Click on a photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery
- SGFD responds to fire at Riverwoods Mill
- Fire erupts at St. George Port of Entry building
- Fire tears through Veyo home, displaces family of 6
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.