ST. GEORGE – The Utah Chapter of the Lupus Foundation of America will hold the second annual “Walk to End Lupus Now” at Vernon Worthen Park in St. George Saturday morning.
Registration opens at 9 a.m., and the short walk around the park begins at 11 a.m. Festivities will include a children’s tent, a prize drawing, a team T-shirt contest and live music by Southern Utah rock band Mister Hyde.
Registration for the event is free, but to receive a “Walk to End Lupus Now” t-shirt and gift bag, participants must raise at least $25.
The walk is a fundraiser to benefit people in the community living with lupus through programs of education, support, advocacy and research.
The “Walk to End Lupus Now” also aims to raise awareness about lupus, an autoimmune disease that can damage any part of the body including skin, joints and organs. It can present in many forms, confound professionals as to its cause, and cause a variety of symptoms. The Lupus Foundation offers support and services to people struggling with the disease in the St. George area.
The Utah Chapter of the Lupus Foundation of America is part of a national group devoted to researching the disease, and providing support to lupus sufferers and their families.
The chapter offers a medication assistance program; a presentation series on health education and awareness; and Social Butterflies, an informal support group where people with lupus and their loved ones can talk with others who “just get it.”
Preregistration night at Perks! Espresso and Smoothies
- What: Preregistration for the “Walk to End Lupus Now,” St. George
- Where: Perks! 1515 West Sunset Blvd., St. George
- When: Friday, Nov. 7, from 4-6 p.m.
- Free coffee for all who come and register, add team members, or just stop by to say hi
Event details and contact information
- When: Saturday 9 a.m. registration, 11 a.m. walk begins
- Where: Vernon Worthen Park, 300 South 400 East, St. George
- How: Register online or at the event
- Utah Chapter of Lupus Foundation website
- Contact: 800-657-6398
Email: [email protected]