ST. GEORGE – Big Brothers Big Sisters of Southern Utah will host two fundraising events Saturday; the Mustache Dash fun run and The Great Big Barn Party. Events will take place at the Crosby Family Confluence Park and the Cox Family Farm respectively and will help raise money to continue to support the Big Brothers Big Sisters youth mentoring program.
Big Brothers Big Sisters, according to their website, is the “nation’s largest donor and volunteer supported mentoring network.” The national program offers meaningful and monitored matches between adult volunteers and children ages 6-18 and operates under the belief that “inherent in every child is the ability to succeed and thrive in life.”
Big Brothers Big Sisters has been operating in Utah for 36 years and in Southern Utah for 11, Kariann Atkin, Southern Utah match support specialist, said. During those 11 years she said they have helped between 800-900 children.
Saturday’s events will help raise funds to support the mentor matches which can cost up to $1,000 per year per match, Atkin said.
Grow or don a mustache and lace up your running shoes for this fun run held at Crosby Family Confluence Park and get out for a good cause. The 5K– 3.1 mile – run will start at 8 a.m. at the park. Online registration is currently open and is $15 for youth 12 and under and $25 for participants 13 and over.
The Great Big Barn Party
If running isn’t your style or you want to do both, put on your boots and head over to the Cox Family Farm where Big Brothers Big Sisters will host a barn party filled with fun for the whole family.
Tethered hot air balloon rides will begin at 8 a.m. and last as long as the balloon does, Atkin said.
The rest of the fun will begin at 9 a.m. and continue until 2 p.m. Activities include pony rides, balloon darts, bean bag tosses, pumpkin bowling, a goldfish pond, a petting zoo, barbecue, music and prizes.
Activities vary in price but most are only $1, Atkin said, inviting the public to come out and support this great cause that helps in the success of many childrens’ lives.
“Come and help us raise money to provide children facing adversity with strong and enduring, professionally supported, one-to-one relationships that change their lives for the better,” Atkin said.
- When: Mustache Dash: Saturday, Nov. 8, 8 a.m | Barn Party: Saturday, Nov. 8, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Balloon rides begin at 8 a.m.
- Where: Mustache Dash: Crosby Family Confluence Park, 1850 South Convention Center Dr., St. George | Barn Party: Cox Family Farm, 900 E. Riverside Dr., St. George
- Cost: Mustache Dash: 12 and under : $15, 13 and up: $25 | Barn Party: Varies by activity – most are $1 each
- Registration for the run will increase in price as it gets closer to the event
- Contact: Teri Iverson | Email: [email protected]
- Veterans Home 5K benefits Washington County Junior ROTC
- Runners don tutus, tiaras, raise funds for 5-year-old fighting cancer; STGNews Photo Gallery
- Free event to celebrate families, adoption
- Yoga’s ‘selfless service’ benefits Big Brothers Big Sisters – 2013
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.