PANGUITCH — The communities of the Bryce Canyon area are preparing to welcome extra pilots and the public to its historic airport with the first-ever Bryce Canyon Fly-in and Airport Appreciation Day happening Friday and Saturday.
“Our airport is a historic treasure and a tribute to the ingenuity and hard work of the residents of Garfield County,” said Tye Ramsay, airport assistant manager. “We welcome pilots and the public to experience this piece of history.”
Built in 1936, the Bryce Canyon Airport is a celebrated landmark and has been placed on National Register of Historic Places. The hangar’s unique barn-like design, rustic ponderosa pine logs, and gabled roof have made it an iconic fixture of the area’s legendary landscape.
As part of the inaugural Bryce Canyon Fly-In, pilots are invited to land their planes at the airport for free and then take a shuttle to visit the red-rock vistas of Bryce Canyon National Park. Pilots will also be treated Friday to an opening reception and welcome dinner.
“Besides being a part of history, the airport is also a very convenient place to land,” Ramsay said. “Within minutes of landing, pilots and their guests can already be inside the park and enjoying the scenery.”
On Saturday, the public is invited to an open house as part of Airport Appreciation Day from 1-3 p.m. to explore and learn more about the airport. Activities include a plane display, antique car show, refreshments, prizes and a raffle for a helicopter ride. Local boy scouts will also earn their aviation merit badge from the airport’s ground school pilot.
“We are lucky to have an airport at the doorstep of one of our national parks,” said Falyn Owens, executive director of the Garfield County Tourism Office. “The fly-in is a great way for pilots to learn about this exciting way to arrive at Bryce Canyon.”
Pilots interested in attending the fly-in can register by calling the Bryce Canyon Airport at 435-834-5239. The event is open to all aircraft. Preregistered aircraft will receive a 30 cents-per-gallon fuel discount. In addition to the shuttle, a limited number of rental cars are available at the airport.
Event details and resources
- What: Bryce Canyon Fly-In, Airport Appreciation Day Open House
- When: Fly-Ins on Friday, Oct. 10 and Saturday, Oct. 11 | Open house on Saturday, Oct. 11 from 1-3 p.m.
- Where: Bryce Canyon Airport, Bryce Canyon
- Bryce Canyon Airport website
- Pilots interested in attending the fly-in can register by calling the Bryce Canyon Airport at 435-834-5239.
- NTSB reports on Kane County plane crash; Red Cross offers mental health assistance
- More tickets available for Utah Symphony’s free concert at Bryce Canyon
- Darryl Worley concert; affordable fun during Bryce Canyon, Ruby’s Inn value season
- Bryce Canyon reopens and ‘everyone is much happier;’ STGnews Videocast, Photo Gallery
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.