CEDAR CITY — Members of the Cedar City community and others can lend a hand on Saturday by volunteering their time in the great outdoors at service projects as part of National Public Lands Day.
Cedar Breaks National Monument
The National Park Service will be hosting a work project at Cedar Breaks National Monument, where volunteers will collect seeds from the surrounding plant life and learn about revegetation. Volunteers are welcome to arrive anytime between 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. on Saturday. Lunch will be provided to all who attend.
Three Peaks Recreation Area
Another project available on Saturday will be held at Three Peaks Recreation Area where volunteers will work together to build new mountain bike trails. The project is hosted by the Bureau of Land Management Cedar City Field Office, Southern Utah University and Dixie National Forest.
The Three Peaks project begins at 8:30 a.m. Volunteers will be greeted with a pancake breakfast before registering. Promptly at 9:30 a.m. volunteers can expect to begin work on building the new trails. Volunteers can preregister for the Three Peaks project online or by calling Yanavey McCloskey at 435-865-3032.
National Public Lands Day
National Public Lands Day is one of the few fee-free days a year where the public can access over 2,200 locations — including national parks — free of charge. According to the National Public Lands Day website, other fee-free days include Martin Luther King Jr. Day and Veteran’s Day. In celebration of the fee-free day, multiple work and service projects are being offered for the public to participate in.
According to the Bureau of Land Management, those who participate are part of the largest single-day volunteer effort for public lands in the United States.
To learn more about Public Lands Day events happening in other areas, visit the National Public Lands Day website.
- National Public Lands Day
- Cedar Breaks Work Project | Braden Yardley Telephone: 435-559-2331
- Three Peaks Bike Trail Project | Yanavey McCloskey Telephone: 435-865-3032
- Join Desert RATS for Sand Mountain cleanup, raffle
- Join Friends of Snow Canyon at Chuckwalla Trail for workday, earn a free-entry coupon
- National Public Lands Day Trail Race in Kane County
- Grand Canyon celebrates Wilderness Act 50th Anniversary, Public Lands Day
- Who should manage public lands? Lockhart, Ivory face off with McCool, Keiter at SUU debate
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.