HURRICANE—Desert Roads and Trails Society will be having fun, doing good and helping to keep Sand Mountain and Sand Hollow State park open and clean on National Public Lands day, Saturday, beginning at 8 a.m. This free event will include participation in the cleanup, trail rides and a raffle, but will also be a great way to show support and raise funds for the Sand Mountain (Sand Hollow) off-highway vehicle area.
The day will start with a cleanup and trail rides at Sand Mountain, and end with a raffle at the Fairgrounds. The Bureau of Land Management is providing dumpsters.
Ed. update: St. George News is advised that the BLM will not be providing free T-shirts as earlier anticipated due to time constraints.
All are invited to meetup and join DRATS at Sand Hollow State Park. Go to the intersection of Southern Parkway and Sand Hollow Road, then follow the signs. Following the cleanup and trail rides, enjoy the raffle at the Washington County Fairgrounds where there will be some great off-road prizes.
Proceeds from the event go to the Utah Public Lands Alliance to help keep the Sand Hollow OHV area open.
About the Desert Roads and Trails Society
From its website:
The Desert Roads and Trails Society was formed in March of 2014 by a group of diverse but like-minded individuals interested in promoting and protecting use of our public lands by all kinds of recreationalists.
We are a Utah non-profit corporation run by volunteers, and any funds we raise (above operating costs) will be used for keeping access open to all, or donated to public land use organizations.
Our current and most pressing land use concern is the proposed land swap which would allow part of the Sand Mountain OHV area (Sand Hollow) to be developed. We are planning a fundraiser later this year, with proceeds to be donated to fighting the land swap.
Event details and resources
- What: Sand Mountain cleanup and raffle for National Public Lands day
- When: Saturday, Sept. 27 at 8 a.m., raffle at 7 p.m.
- Where: Cleanup at Sand Hollow State Park, 3351 South Sand Hollow Road, Hurricane | Raffle at Washington County Regional Park, fairgrounds, 5500 West 700 South, Hurricane
- Contact: Jeff Bieber 435-619-6119
- Desert RATS | website | Facebook
- Sand Hollow State Park | website
- Utah Public Lands Alliance | website | Facebook
- Sand Mountain, OHV paradise or luxury development? 2 sides to proposed land exchange
- Sand Hollow land swap a sticky issue
- Hurricane council strongly disapproves BLM land swap, favors sand dunes ATV recreation
- Habitat Conservation area landowner seeks Sand Mountain land swap; OHV community concerned
- New Off-road Group Holds Meet and Greet
- Winter on the Rocks at Sand Mountain, rivaling Moab; STGnews Videocast, Photo Gallery – 2014
- WORCS offroad event’s dusty thrills, spills on Sand Mountain; STGnews Photo Gallery – 2013
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.