IVINS – Ivins City will kick off its annual Heritage Days celebration Friday night with things both modern and historic as the city gets set to commemorate “100 Years of Water.”
The theme for this year’s event pays tribute to the first irrigation system implemented in the area in 1914, and part of the celebration will include a presentation about the irrigation system as well as tours of the site where it first began, Jennifer Chapman, administrative assistant for the Ivins Parks and Recreation Department, said.
Guests of honor will include residents who were present in the early stages of the of the system’s implementation.
“We have a lot of irrigation residents here,” Chapman said.
Heritage Days will also include more modern celebrations, starting with a movie in the park Friday at 7:30 p.m. at the Ivins City Park, 100 N. Main St., and a day full of vendors, entertainment and the fast thrills of a soapbox derby competition on Saturday.
“The soapbox derby race will take place on Center Street,” Chapman said. “It should be really fast.”
Ivins Heritage Days complete schedule of events:
- 6:30 p.m. Mayor’s History Walk | Begins at Ivins City Fire Department, 90 W. Center St.
- 7:30 p.m. Movie in the park with root beer floats and popcorn | Ivins City Park, 100 N. Main St.
- 7:30 a.m. Vendor check-in and setup | Ivins City Park, 100 N. Main St.
- 8 a.m. Service projects
- 8:50 a.m. Flag-raising ceremony
- 9 a.m. Vendor and game booths open/Historical Society bake sale
- 9 a.m. Welcome by Mayor Chris Hart and Ivins Royalty
- 9:40 a.m. Red Mountain Elementary Choir
- 10 a.m. 1914 irrigation system presentation/Derby car and driver check-in
- 10:15 a.m. “Minute to Win it” competition/Vista Charter School Choir
- 10:45 a.m. Water competition games
- 11 a.m. “Dam Tour”: Visit the site where the first irrigation system to Ivins began/Pie-eating Contest
- 11:15 a.m. Entertainment by Jupiter
- Noon Soapbox derby
- 12:45 p.m. Entertainment by the Eldredge Brothers
- 1 p.m. “Dam Tour” 2
- 1:40 p.m. Entertainment by Towin’ The Line
- 2 p.m. Festival concludes
In addition to the fun, in honor of Heritage Days, all Ivins City residents will receive free admission to Snow Canyon State Park from Sept. 20-27. Proof of residency required.
“This is a great way, whether you are an Ivins resident or not, to come show your support for the community and share in their talents,” Chapman said.
- When: Friday, Sept. 19 and Saturday, Sept. 20; see detailed schedule of events
- Where: Vendors and most activities will be located or will begin at Ivins City Park, 100 N. Main St.
- For more information please visit the Ivins City website
- Ivins City commemorates solar project completion
- Peach Days draws large crowds to Hurricane; STGnews photo gallery
- Cotton Days continues in spite of rainy weather; STGnews Videocast
- Cotton Days kick-off; 5K dedicated to Boston; STGnews Videocast and Photo Gallery
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.