CEDAR CITY — With the reopening of Interstate 15’s Exit 57 into Cedar City’s south Main Street, since its temporary closure during the weekend, Utah Department of Transportation cautions drivers on movement through the unfinished diverging diamond that it is still under construction.
Progress during the interchange closure included reconfiguration of lanes, testing new signals and preparing the road for the changes, according to a UDOT press release.
“Many drivers have successfully driven the new pattern, which still winds through a construction zone, but some drivers are still adjusting to the new signal placements and lane shifts,” the release stated.
As UDOT inspectors and traffic specialists have monitored the signals and drivers Monday morning they have suggested three tips to help with driver safety on the new layout.
- Slow down
- Follow the arrows
- Watch for red lights from the new signals
The traffic change has marked another milestone in the remodel of the South Cedar Interchange. The current change to the interchange is a new on-ramp to southbound I-15 from the west side of the Interstate while the previous southbound fly-over ramp directly off Main Street is now closed.
Construction continues for the completion of curbing, signing and adding other details, which is anticipated for completion in mid October, according to the press release.
Drivers interested in navigating the new interchange prior to driving it are encouraged to visit the videos accessible from the project’s web page.
- Traffic Advisory: Cedar City Exit 57 ramp closure, new traffic pattern
- St. George Boulevard-I-15-Exit 8 diverging diamond interchange now open
- I-15 St. George Boulevard Bridge closure, switch to Diverging Diamond Interchange configuration
- Residents given preview of Exit 8 Interchange construction
- Future construction at Exit 8 interchange could help reduce traffic congestion
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.