HURRICANE – Approximately 50 derby cars will participate in the Washington County Fair Demolition Derby Friday and Saturday night, with $30,000 in prizes going to the winners.
The derby opens Friday at 7 p.m. and will include a figure eight race involving regular cars and trucks, an “old man’s race” for participants ages 55 and older, a youth race for participants ages 16 years and younger, a stock class derby and a powder puff figure eight.
On Saturday at 7 p.m., the derby continues with the main event, an outlaw class, a regular car and truck class and powder puff derby, Wetzel said.
Prizes include $6,000 for the main event race winners and $1,000 for the most aggressive driver.
Event Promoter Matt Wetzel, who is in his sixth year working the derby, invites community members to come out to the event.
“It’s fun and brings a great adrenaline rush,” he said.
A team known as Driven to Quit will be racing in a 1979 Ford Thunderbird, a 1964 Ford pickup and a 1964 Chrysler Newport at the derby. This team is participating to raise awareness of free resources available to tobacco users. In 2011, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that 70 percent of current smokers want to quit completely, according to a press release. Team vehicles will promote the quit website and hotline, 1-800-QUITNOW, at both the Friday and Saturday events as a sponsorship from the Southwest Utah Public Health Department.
Tickets for the demolition derby can be purchased at the Washington County Fair website, at Intermountain Farmers Association stores, and at the fair ticket booth the day of the event. Pit passes can only be purchased at the pit entrance the day of the event, Wetzel said.
- When: Aug. 8-9 | 7 p.m.
- Where: Washington County Fairgrounds Large Outdoor Arena, 5500 W. 700 South, Hurricane
- Pit passes can be purchased at the pit entrance for $10 on Friday and $15 on Saturday
- General admission: $5 on Friday, $10 on Saturday and $3 for children under 3 years old | Tickets can be purchased at IFA stores, at the Washington Country Fair website or at the ticket booth the days of the events
- Washington County Fair Fairadise 2014 brings the beach party to Southern Utah
- Poise to noise, fair’s closing day parade, Demolition Derby; STGnews videocast, photo gallery
- Washington County Fair ‘Lucky 13‘
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.