HURRICANE — The exterior of a home in Hurricane caught fire early Sunday afternoon but was extinguished by members of the Hurricane Fire Department before it spread. No one was injured, but the outside of the home sustained burn damage and the attic was damaged by smoke.
Emergency personnel responded to the fire at approximately 3:20 p.m. in the area of 155 N. 1580 W. in Hurricane. An external flame source had started the home on fire, Hurricane Valley Fire and Rescue Chief Tom Kuhlmann said.
The external flame was in a patch of weeds that the homeowner, John Jonhinz, was burning outside his home.
Jonhinz said he finished burning his weeds and went inside thinking the fire was out, but when he returned outside, the exterior of his home was on fire.
Once the fire crews arrived on scene, they were able to extinguish the fire. Due to the quick action of members of the Fire Department and the Hurricane Police Department, they were able to save the home before it spread any further, Kuhlmann said.
There are currently no districts in Washington County where burn season is open. Kuhlmann urged citizens to follow burn restriction guidelines to help prevent further incidents such as this.
St. George News Reporter Drew Allred contributed to this report.
- LaVerkin Council: Fireworks restriction, watering restraint, police check-on policy
- Fire restrictions to be implemented in Southern Utah, Arizona Strip
- City parks workers alert residents to home fire
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.