FREDONIA, Ariz. – Recreation sites on the North Kaibab Ranger District of the Kaibab National Forest are scheduled to open Thursday for the summer season. This is the same day the Arizona Department of Transportation will open the gate at U.S. Highway 67 in Jacob Lake and also the day Grand Canyon National Park’s North Rim entrance opens.
The North Kaibab sites scheduled to open Thursday are DeMotte Campground, Jacob Lake Campground and the Kaibab Plateau Visitor Center.
DeMotte Campground is located within the North Kaibab Ranger District, 7 miles north of the entrance to the Grand Canyon National Park’s North Rim. DeMotte offers 38 single family campsites with tables and cooking grills. The 38 single family campsites can accommodate tents, trailers and small motor homes. However, no utility hookups are available.
Half of the sites at DeMotte Campground are available on a first-come, first-served basis and the other half are available with reservations. There is no group site at DeMotte Campground.
Jacob Lake Campground offers 51 single family campsites and two group sites, which can accommodate up to 100 people each.
The Kaibab Plateau Visitor Center in Jacob Lake is operated by the Forest Service and the Grand Canyon Association and provides information on Kaibab National Forest and Grand Canyon National Park. The visitor center will be open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
Fuel wood permits will not be sold at the Kaibab Plateau Visitor Center. Fuel wood cutters need to purchase permits at the North Kaibab Ranger District office, 430 S. Main St., Fredonia, Arizona, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Submitted by Kaibab National Forest Public Affairs
- For additional information on North Kaibab Ranger District recreation sites, visit www.fs.usda.gov/kaibab or call the district office at (928) 643-7395
- DeMotte Campground reservations: www.recreation.gov, 877-444-6777
- Jacob Lake Campground reservations: www.recreation.gov, 877-444-6777
- Park, ride free shuttle operating between Grand Canyon, Tusayan
- New camping permit requirements for Tuweep, Grand Canyon National Park
- Grand Canyon North Rim to open for summer season
Email: [email protected]