ST. GEORGE – The Dixie State University Gay Straight Alliance has announced that it will host a town hall on marriage equality Wednesday evening from 6-8 p.m. in the Dunford Auditorium.
The town hall will feature Mark Lawrence from Restore our Humanity and he will be giving an in-depth update of the 10th District Court’s appeal on Amendment 3, Utah’s gay marriage law, and talking about the plaintiff’s in the case.
In addition to his update Lawrence will also give comparative analysis of similar cases.
Restore our Humanity is a grass roots effort formed two years ago by a small group of Utahns who believed that Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage was unfair and needed to be struck down.
On December 20, 2013 United States District Judge Robert Shelby declared the ban unconstitutional.
After the ruling and until January 6, over 1,200 gay and lesbian couples were married in Utah when Supreme Court Judge Sonia Sotomayor issued a stay pending an appeal.
Arguments on Amendment 3 were heard before three federal judges on Thursday.
Following Wednesday evening’s presentation the floor will be opened up for a question and answer session and interested community members are invited to attend.
- Where: Dixie State University Dunford Auditorium, 225 south 700 east St. George
- When: Wednesday, April 16, from 6-8 p.m.
- Contact: Kristian Johnson | Telephone: 503-867-5309
- For more information on Restore our Humanity click here
- For more information on the Dixie State University Gay Straight Alliance click here
- Family Research Council files friend brief with 10th Circuit Court, Utah’s marriage definition law
- Federal government announces it will recognize Utah’s same-sex marriagesUtah won’t recognize same-sex marriages
- On the EDge: Same-sex marriage isn’t dead, just on hold
- U.S. Supreme Court halts same-sex marriages in Utah
- Utah appeals to U.S. Supreme Court to halt same-sex marriages
- Tenth Circuit denies Utah’s appeal for stay on same-sex marriage ruling
- Marriage licenses issued, weddings had for same-sex couples in Washington County
- Judge denies Utah’s request for emergency stay, same-sex marriage decision
- Appeals court judges hears arguments surrounding Amendment 3
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.