ST. GEORGE – The Dixie Power Kite Festival returns Saturday to celebrate 15 years of providing wholesome family entertainment and promoting reading in Washington County schools. This annual event will be held at the SunRiver St. George Golf Course from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., featuring games, food vendors, a live concert and, of course, kite flying fun for the whole family.
Qualifying students will receive a free high-quality kite or age-appropriate book as a reward for their reading efforts this school year. Those who did not qualify may still bring their own kites or purchase one at the event to fly in a designated area.
Admission, parking, shuttles and most activities are free. There will also be games and activities, as well as food vendors.
Throughout the day, several school choirs and local entertainment groups will be performing, and the national anthem will be presented at noon. To top off the event, there will be a free music concert featuring Southern Utah-based indie rock band “Pangea” at 6 p.m.
Last year, the festival raised $30,000 for the Washington County School District Foundation and 2,300 young bookworms earned a free kite.
Event details and contact information
- When: Saturday, April 12 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Where: Sun River Golf Course, off I-15 Exit 2 in St. George
- Schedule: Dixie Kite Festival schedule
- Admission: Free – some vendors and activities may charge
- Website: Dixie Power Kite Festival
- Elementary success: Kids, kites raise $30K for Washington County schools; STGnews Videocast and Photo Gallery
- Give the gift of education; Washington County School District Foundation
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.