UPDATED March 30, 2014 – Photos submitted are added as a gallery.
MOHAVE COUNTY – A vehicle fire around Nevada mile post 96 on northbound Interstate 15 caused major traffic delays Saturday afternoon. The incident, which took place north of Glendale, Nev., has been cleared and backed-up traffic is now heading toward the Virgin River Gorge, the Arizona Highway Patrol reported Saturday evening.
“This will certainly cause a huge delay getting through the gorge today,” AHP Sgt. John Bottoms said. “I would recommend people exiting in Littlefield, Ariz., and using (Old Highway 91) or face additional delays in excess of one hour to get through the gorge.”
Traffic in the gorge is already being reduced to one lane of traffic around mile post 16 due to reconstruction work on the bridge there.
Alternate route and tips for drivers
Individuals seeking to avoid traffic delays in the Virgin River Gorge may take Highway 91 as an alternate route. The highway bypasses the gorge entirely, intersecting with I-15 at Littlefield, Ariz. to the south, and connecting to St. George at the north via Santa Clara and Sunset Boulevard. See map included in this article.
Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.
- View a project flyer with a map of the area: Virgin River Gorge I-15 Bridge Rehabilitation Projects 2014-2015
- To stay up-to-date with the latest highway conditions around the state, visit the ADOT Traveler Information Center online.
- Travelers outside of Arizona needing to check road conditions may call 1-888-411-ROAD, or while in Arizona dial 511.
- More information about the I-15 Virgin River Gorge bridge projects is available on the ADOT website.
- ADOT begins largest bridge reconstruction project in Virgin River Gorge, Bridge No. 6 on I-15
- Car gets sandwiched between semis, concrete barrier; Gorge collisions
- ADOT Advisory: Roadwork on bridges continues, motorists reminded to plan for delays
- I-15 construction in the Gorge slows travel between St. George, Las Vegas
- ADOT: Virgin River Gorge bridge improvement schedule
- Interstate from Mexico to Canada? ADOT, NDOT invite public comments on I-11 Study
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.