SOUTHERN UTAH — Winds can be expected to reach 35 mph, with gusts up to 50 mph said the National Weather Service in Salt Lake City in a wind advisory issued at 2:45 p.m. The advisory holds effect until 8 p.m. and names the Glen Canyon recreation area, Lake Powell and Bullfrog.
The winds will create dangerous boating conditions, choppy water and large waves able to capsize or swamp small boats, the advisory said.
Lake Powell received many more boaters this week because of spring break for many schools leaves students without class. Boaters are asked to postpone their outings until the winds return to normal.
The National Parks Service has a webcam service that shows the current conditions of the Bullfrog launch ramp.
In addition to boaters, motorists should also be cautious in the area as cross winds may make driving difficult.
For road conditions from the Utah Department of Transportation:
- Visit UDOT’s Road Weather Alerts
- Visit UDOT’s Current Road Conditions
- Obtain UDOT’s smartphone travel app.
- Snow advisory for Washington, Kane, Iron counties
- Winter weather advisory extended for Southwest, Southern Utah
- Water district says quagga mussels don’t jeopardize Lake Powell pipeline
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.