PHOENIX – The Internal Revenue Service announced the release of IRS2Go 4.0, an update to its smartphone application featuring new added features available in both English and Spanish.
The redesigned IRS2Go provides new features for taxpayers to access the latest information to help them in the preparation of their tax returns. In this version, IRS2Go highlights the addition of an innovative new refund status tracker, providing taxpayers an easy-to-use feature to follow their tax return throughout the process.
“The new version of IRS2Go provides taxpayers another way to quickly get information and help around the clock,” IRS Commissioner John Koskinen said. “The IRS is focused on providing taxpayers with convenient self-service tools like IRS2Go, which provides details on everything from tax refunds to free tax assistance.”
There have been about 3.5 million downloads of IRS2Go since its inception in 2011. IPhone and iPod Touch users can update or download the free IRS2Go application by visiting the iTunes App Store. Android users can visit Google Play to download the free IRS2Go app.
The newest version of the free mobile app offers a number of safe and secure ways for taxpayers to access other popular tools and the most up-to-date tax information, including:
- Refund Status. Taxpayers can check the status of their federal tax refund through IRS2Go. People simply enter their Social Security number, which will be masked and encrypted for security purposes, then select their filing status and enter the amount of their anticipated refund for their 2013 tax return. A new refund status tracker has been added so that taxpayers can follow their tax return throughout the process. Users can check their refund status 24 hours after the IRS acknowledges receipt of an e-filed return, or four weeks after mailing a paper return. The IRS reminds taxpayers the tool is updated just once a day, usually overnight, so there is no reason to check more than once a day.
- Free Tax Prep Providers. The IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly Programs offer free tax help for taxpayers who qualify. This brand new tool on IRS2Go will help taxpayers find the nearest VITA site to their home by simply entering their zip code and selecting a mileage range. By clicking on the directions button within the results, the maps application on the device will load with the address, making it easy to navigate to your desired location.
- Tax Records. Taxpayers can request their tax account or tax return transcript from IRS2Go. The transcript will be delivered via U.S. Postal Service to their address on record.
- Stay Connected. Taxpayers can interact with the IRS by following the IRS on Twitter, @IRSnews or @IRSenEspanol, watching helpful videos on YouTube, signing up for email updates, or by using the Contact Us feature.
- IRS Free File opens, taxpayer software
- DSU accounting students provide free tax preparation
- Hatch: Department of Justice investigation of IRS is out of order
- IRS announces more than 122 million e-filed returns
Email: [email protected]