Gas explosion at San Salvador Restaurant, woman burned

Fire fighters responding to gas explosion at San Salvador Restaurant, St. George, Utah, Jan. 23, 2014 | Photo by Scott Heinecke, St. George News

ST. GEORGE — A gas explosion at the San Salvador Restaurant, 439 North Bluff St. in St. George at about 3:30 p.m. Thursday burned a woman, blew out the glass front door and caused some interior damage to the business.

“They were utilizing propane for their kitchen appliances that were no longer being used on a regular basis it appears that a valve was inadvertently left on while the occupant was attempting to ignite the appliances,” St. George Fire Marshal Kevin Taylor said.

The Fire Department found a valve left in the open position that did not have an appliance attached to it and it is believed that when the woman attempted to light the stove it caused the explosion and burned the woman on the face. It is not known how long the valve had been left open, he said prior to the explosion.

The woman was transported to Dixie Regional Medical Center in St. George by Gold Cross Ambulance and it is unknown what her condition is, Taylor said.

The San Salvador used to be a restaurant but now operates as a store and a money transfer service, Taylor said, although it is equipped with an older commercial stove and hood that is not in regular use and is connected to a propane tank that sits outside of the business.

Questar Gas responded to the scene as a precaution and it was determined that they did not provide service to the San Salvador or any of the buildings in the immediate area, Questar Gas Operations Supervisor Scott Houghton said.

The owner of Rix Tattoo shop, Rick Martinez, heard what sounded like a small plastic bag pop and didn’t think too much of it until he saw the fire trucks arrive at the business which is next door to him.

Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery

Related Posts:

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.

Fire fighters responding to gas explosion at San Salvadore Restaurant, St. George, Utah, Jan. 23, 2014 | Photo by Scott Heinecke, St. George News

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

17 Comments

• ladybugavenger January 23, 2014 at 8:21 pm

The name states its a restaurant but its not a restaurant its a store and money services business and they are lighting a stove. Ok, am I missing something? Are they laundering money or something cuz that would make more sense.

• Craig January 24, 2014 at 6:08 am

First thing out of your mouth is “Are they laundering money or something cuz that would make more sense.”
      How does that even make sense? You need to re-read the article. The sub-text of your comment speaks volumes.

• ladybugavenger January 24, 2014 at 9:45 am

that wasnt the first thing out of my mouth craig. You should read. You don’t make sense craig. Re-read the article and tell me how it can be a restaurant( according to the name) but its not a restaurant, its a store and money services business ( according to the article). Money laundering- that’s how!

• ladybugavenger January 24, 2014 at 9:54 am

And why light a stove if it’s not a restaurant?

• Dana January 25, 2014 at 6:16 am

@ ladybugavenger…Maybe they were hungry??? It does state it’s a money transfer service. Why do you believe it’s a money laundering business?

• DoubleTap January 24, 2014 at 10:05 am

Actually it was the LAST thing of ladybugavenger’s post. NOT the first….

• Connie Johansen January 23, 2014 at 9:47 pm

MAKE SURE YOU SAY GOLD CROSS THEY ARE NOT THE BEST HELP SORRY BUT TRUE . HOW AND THE … DO YOU DO THE CAPTCHA CODE EVERYTHING IS WRONG
    ????????????????????????
    Ed. ellipsis.

• Kanabcowgirl January 23, 2014 at 11:01 pm

Hope the dear lady who got hurt has a full and speedy recovery.

• DoubleTap January 24, 2014 at 10:09 am

Small; business owner….wonder if ObamaCare will cover her medical expenses. Hopefully she was able to sign up at the web site in time.

• bub January 24, 2014 at 2:33 pm

“Rick Martinez, heard what sounded like a small plastic bag pop and didn’t think too much of it”

Looks like it blew the entire door off.

• ladybugavenger January 25, 2014 at 5:20 pm

@ dana because of the deception between the name and the nature of the business…its not a restaurant. You don’t cook in a money services business…money laundering was just one of my thoughts…I have a few more like a cover up business, making illegal documents, drug distribution….all because of deception of restaurant wait! Its not a restaurant its a store and money services….good thing I didn’t go there to eat, because the sign says restaurant….but its not

• ladybugavenger January 26, 2014 at 12:37 pm

@Dana…I did not state that “I believe”. so do not get my comment confused with a belief, for I have no evidence to support a belief like that. However, I did say money laundering would make more sense because of the deception of the name vs the type of business conducted. The deception leads me down a the road of money laundering and so forth. Only an investigation could conclude the legality of their business practice. But this article opens doors. The details did not make sense to me. Perhaps that’s on the part of the writer. I have more questions than answers. You can’t just throw at me this is a restaurant, it use to be a restaurant, it’s not a restaurant, its a store, it’s a money services business. The valve is on. there is no stove connected. There is a stove connected. She lit the stove. It burned her. It blew out the door. I heard a pop….and expect me to accept it on it’s surface. No, no, no…ladybugavenger does not accept these details at face value. There is something more sinister going on here.

• non lady bug avenger January 26, 2014 at 7:26 pm

This is a store where they would sell shoes and cash checks owned by a lady but there was also this other man who made delish tortas but he ended his business but he still does catering.. they sell Mexican candies as well it still had the kitchen in the store for everyone to see so anyone could have decided to heat up some food..why make such a big deal?

• ladybugavenger January 26, 2014 at 11:47 pm

Because they call themselves a restaurant- change the name. I don’t buy shoes at a restaurant

• ladybugavenger January 27, 2014 at 7:34 am

@ Non Lady Bug Avenger, I keep speaking because people like you and dana keep asking me questions. the ole why? When that question was answered by my first comment I already said why, over and over again. I’m very clear why I say the things I say. You can defend it, but its still the same answer. You can ask but its still the same answer!!! My comments are still the same. Nothings changed.

• me January 28, 2014 at 7:59 am

It was a restaurant… And she’s doing really good…And she was trying to cook something….