UPDATED 9:30 p.m.
KANARRAVILLE − An Iron County Sheriff’s Deputy was shot during a standoff at a trailer home on Main Street in Kanarraville this afternoon.
At about 1:47 p.m., two sheriff’s deputies and one Utah State Highway Patrol Trooper responded to a call about a suicidal man, said Sgt. Charles Triplett, Iron County Sheriff’s Office.
The man came out of his home with a gun and then retreated back inside of his trailer, Triplett said. A SWAT team was called, but the man re-emerged from the residence before they arrived and began shooting at the deputies.
“When he came out the second time, he decided he was going to exchange gunfire,” Triplett said, both the suspect and a deputy were shot in the exchange. “Neither of the wounds appear to be life threatening at this time,” he said.
Both the deputy and the shooter were transported to Valley View Medical Center in Cedar City, Triplett said. The deputy was treated for the gunshot wound and has since been released. The shooter is still recovering in the hospital, and is expected to make a full recovery.
Charges have not yet been filed, as the incident is still under investigation by the Iron County Officer Involved Shooting Protocol Team.
“Any time there is an officer shooting, it is thoroughly investigated. Officers are down there processing the scene right now,” Triplett said. The names of the deputy and suspect had not yet been released at the time of this report.
Updated in full at 9:30 p.m.
- Man charged in Harrisburg shooting appears for first roll call hearing
- Probation agent shooting may have been burglary gone bad, agent named
- Utah officials react to loss of Sgt. Derek Johnson, Draper police officer killed on duty
- Cedar City Police officer injured; suspect arrested for assault, drugs
- Mesquite police officer shot during traffic stop
- Confused accident victim gets help by wandering onto I-15
- Wanted: Suspect in aggravated robbery, sexual assault in Harmony Heights
- Shooting in Harrisburg community’s St. George Horizon Trailer Park
Now available from STGnews
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2013, all rights reserved.