SOUTHERN UTAH – The National Weather Service has issued a “Winter Storm Warning” for snow, in effect from 5 a.m. Saturday to noon Sunday. Utah Department of Transportation has road alerts in effect beginning as early as late Friday night and continuing through Sunday.
Affected area – This warning covers the southwest and west-central valleys, Sanpete and Sevier valleys, Great Salt Lake Desert and Cache Valley Utah portion, including cities of Logan, Smithfield, Wendover, Snowville, Manti, Richfield, Delta, Fillmore, Beaver, Cedar City and Milford.
Snow accumulations – Generally, 3-7 inches of snow accumulation are expected in most valleys. The greatest amounts of snow accumulations are expected along the Interstate 15 corridor between Fillmore and Cedar city.
Timing – Light snow is possible across portions of the northern Great Salt Lake Desert and Cache Valley Friday evening. Otherwise, snow is expected to increase in coverage and intensity Saturday morning and continue heavy at times Saturday afternoon through Saturday evening. This snow is expected to turn showery and taper off Sunday morning.
Winds – Gusty south winds are expected to cause blowing and drifting snow across the Great Salt Lake Desert, west-central and southwest valleys from early Saturday through Saturday afternoon.
Impacts – Very cold temperatures will allow even small amounts of snow to accumulate on road surfaces and create significant travel impacts. Hazardous winter driving conditions are expected across all of the area Saturday into Sunday.
Utah Department of Transportation current road weather alerts – For central and southern Utah, UDOT has posted alerts including the following:
- Road snow will impact I-15 from Spanish Fork though the Interstate 70 junction between 9 a.m. Saturday and noon Sunday.
- Road snow will impact I-15 from the I-70 junction to Cedar City between 11 a.m. Saturday through noon Sunday.
- Road snow/slush will impact routes in St. George between 1-11 p.m. Saturday. Motorists should watch for patchy road ice, particularly on bridges, Saturday night and Sunday morning.
- Road snow will impact Highway 191 between I-70 and Bluff Street from 3 p.m. Saturday through noon Sunday.
- Blowing snow will impact U.S. Highway 6, state Route 21, and state Route 56 late Friday night through Saturday morning.
For northern Utah, visit UDOT’s Road Weather Alerts.
For detailed conditions on specific roads and highways statewide – Visit UDOT’s Road Weather Alerts and scroll to the lower section of the Alert page.
This winter storm warning means a mixture of heavy snow and gusty winds are expected or occurring. Driving conditions may be hazardous. Use extreme caution. Keep a winter storm survival kit in your vehicle in case of an emergency.
Getting stuck in the snow can have dire consequences. St. George News has prepared the following list for your convenience to print out, keep in your vehicles and get your survival kit assembled:
For more winter road conditions from the Utah Department of Transportation:
- Visit UDOT’s Road Weather Alerts – Go to lower section of the Alert page for detailed conditions on specific roads and highways.
- Visit UDOT’s Current Road Conditions
- Obtain UDOT’s smartphone travel app.
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2013, all rights reserved.