Smoke inside First Stop in Washington causes brief closure

First Stop gas station and convenience store closes while Fire Department identifies electrical-short. Washington, Utah, Nov. 4, 2013 | Photo by Kimberly Scott, St. George News

WASHINGTON – The First Stop gas station and convenience store at 195 East Telegraph Street in Washington closed Monday for just over an hour due to an electrical short inside the store.

Washington City Fire Department was called at 4:45 p.m. after an employee noticed smoke coming from a vent near the cash register, store manager Tyler Anderson said.

“They had an in-ground electrical outlet behind the counter, a junction box in the floor that’s like an outlet,” Washington City Firefighter Kelly Lang said. It’s like an outlet where all the wires come together, the wires got wet somehow and shorted out causing the smoke, he said, which is normal.

No damage was reported and the store reopened for business at 5:55 p.m.

St. George News Editor in Chief Joyce Kuzmanic contributed to this report.

New from

St. George News App for Android®

St. George News App for iPhone®

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, LLC, 2013, all rights reserved.

Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 7.17.11 PM

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.