CEDAR CITY – The best of Region 9 boys’ tennis have fought through the local competition and are ready for State.
The Region tournament began May 10 at 8:30 a.m. on the Southern Utah University and Canyon View High School courts and ended just after 3:30 p.m. on May 11. The weather cooperated, aside from a hour-long rain delay in the afternoon of May 10.
Players were ready for battle and matches close and often long, with teams from seven schools vying to qualify for State.
“It was a tough tournament and all the kids played hard,” Cedar coach Jeremiah Sullivan said.
All of Dixie’s and Desert Hills’s players qualified, with Hurricane and Cedar filling the remaining seeds. After tough seasons filled with ups and downs, neither Pine View nor Canyon View managed to earn a seed.
The Region title was awarded to Snow Canyon, whose players took the second seed in every position, thus earning the most points overall.
“I am very proud of my boys and how hard they have worked this season,” coach Jeremy Atkin said. “They played great.”
Only the top four seeds in each varsity position advanced to State, which will be held Friday and Saturday starting at 8:30 a.m. at the Green Valley Spa courts in St. George. The tournament is overseen by the Utah High School Activities Association.
At State, Region 9 schools will face the best players from across Utah, including last year’s champions Park City.
“The team goal is to make the semi-finals at least,” Dixie player Tevan Balian, 16, said. “Juan Diego and their 1st singles player will be our biggest threat.”
“The northern regions are very good and we will have to play our best,” Atkin said. “Our goal is to take the State championship home and if we play like I know we can, we can achieve it.”
1. Tevan Balian – Dixie
2. Will Benson – Snow Canyon
3. Clay Hardy – Desert Hills
4. Shayden Hinton – Hurricane
1. Micah Alba – Dixie
2. Matt Douglas – Snow Canyon
3. Micha Gaelwiler – Desert Hills
4. Mitchell Hansen – Cedar
1. Logan Wrigley – Snow Canyon
2. Braden Evans – Desert Hills
3. Nick Livingston – Dixie
4. Seth Littleford – Cedar
1. Mason Ford/Christian Davis – Desert Hills
2. Jonathan Morgan/Devin Radmall – Snow Canyon
3. Zac Coonen/Cole Loveland – Cedar
4. Zach Staheli/Avery Cope – Dixie
1. Preston Parmenter/Ryan McGinnis – Desert Hills
2. Nate Utley/Hunter McArthur – Snow Canyon
3. Garrison Ganowsky/Mason Aldred – Dixie
4. Gray Robicheaux/Karter Beardall – Hurricane
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2013, all rights reserved.