Attentive hotel guest baseball player mitigates fire disaster

The St. George Fire Department responding to a call at the Quality Inn, St. George, Utah, March 14, 2013 | Photo by Chris Caldwell, St. George News

ST.GEORGE – Thursday evening a fire started in the ceiling of a hotel room at the Quality Inn on Bluff Street in St. George when a fan failed and ignited insulation around 8 p.m. The Fire Department responded shortly and extinguished the fire, which had continued to smolder despite efforts made by hotel staff with a fire extinguisher.

Firefighters had to take out part of the ceiling in the bathroom in order to extinguish the fire completely Quality Inn, St. George, Utah, March 14, 2013 | Photo by Chris Caldwell, St. George News
Firefighters had to take out part of the ceiling in the bathroom in order to extinguish the fire completely Quality Inn, St. George, Utah, March 14, 2013 | Photo by Chris Caldwell, St. George News

A high school baseball team from Spanish Fork had rented the block of rooms, and the people who were staying in the room were not present at the time the fire started. However, a concerned teammate occupying one of the adjacent rooms took action.

“I could smell smoke, had the office make me a key, walked in there and there was a fire in the bathroom,” Jade Nielsen said. “I told the guy in the office, he sprayed it with a fire extinguisher, and then the fire trucks showed up.”

Upon arriving, responders evacuated the occupants of surrounding rooms, and pulled out ceiling panels to fully extinguish what was left of the fire.

“We responded typically as if it were a structure fire,” Deputy Chief Kevin Taylor said. “We narrowed it down to the bathroom area, and apparently the ventilation fan in the bathroom malfunctioned. The fire was smoldering in the attic insulation.”

There were no injuries related to the incident, and minimal property damage was reported.

Fire crews responded to a similar incident at the Howard Johnson Hotel in St. George on Feb. 15.

St. George Fire Chief Robert Stoker said the problem with exhaust fans is that dust and lint – which are very flammable – collect around the motor and cause it to overheat, thus sparking a fire.

St. George News Assistant Editor Mori Kessler contributed to this article.

The St. George Fire Department responding to a call at the Quality Inn, St. George, Utah, March 14, 2013 | Photo by Chris Caldwell, St. George News
The St. George Fire Department responding to a call at the Quality Inn, St. George, Utah, March 14, 2013 | Photo by Chris Caldwell, St. George News
The St. George Fire Department responding to a call at the Quality Inn, St. George, Utah, March 14, 2013 | Photo by Chris Caldwell, St. George News
The St. George Fire Department responding to a call at the Quality Inn, St. George, Utah, March 14, 2013 | Photo by Chris Caldwell, St. George News

 

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2013, all rights reserved.

The St. George Fire Department responding to a call at the Quality Inn, St. George, Utah, March 14, 2013 | Photo by Chris Caldwell, St. George News
The St. George Fire Department responding to a call at the Quality Inn, St. George, Utah, March 14, 2013 | Photo by Chris Caldwell, St. George News

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.