SALT LAKE CITY – House Bill 61, the bill granting university status to Dixie State and the official name of Dixie State University, passed in the Utah State House and Senate Wednesday morning.
Authored by Rep. Don Ipson and cosponsored by Sen. Steve Urquhart, the bill was first voted on in the State House. While there was some discussion among representatives noting the negative connotations attached to the Dixie name, the bill passed 68-6.
The State Senate voted on the bill next and unanimously passed the measure 24-0.
The bill now moves to the desk of Gov. Gary Herbert for signing.
- Imminent university status spawns programs, endowments; legislation seeks $4 Mil. transitional funding
- Utah Board of Regents brings DSC one step closer to Dixie State University; STGnews videocast
- DSC Trustees unanimous: University status, ‘Dixie State University;’ STGnews videocast
- Applause and song resound, Dixie name change survey results; STGnews Videocast and Photo Gallery
- OP-ED: Final call to action; Washington County Minority Coalition on Dixie name change
- Council resolution recommends ‘Dixie’ remain in university name
- Dixie State College announces name change survey results
- What the HAYnes? White Elephants and firemen
- Dixie-ites dead set on name retention at Sorenson forum; STGnews Videocast
- Silent vigil focuses on Dixie State name change; STGnews videocast
- Perspectives: Reading old books, an antidote to thought control
- On the EDge: Be a ‘real’ Rebel, accept Dixie name change
- Letter to the Editor: Restore Dixie; bring back the Rebel and the Confederate statue
- ON Kilter: When a sculptor shapes public perception, who speaks for whom?
- Confederate soldiers come tumbling down; Dixie State College feeling the heat?
- Perspectives: Dixie State College, resisting the tyranny of the minority
- ON Kilter: Dixie State; there’s more at stake than a name
- Letter to the Editor: Minority Coalition stance on college name change
- Dixie State students convene over school name change
- Name change forum, Dixie State College encourages public input on university transition
- Dixie State College launches name change survey, seeks public input
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2013, all rights reserved.