IVINS – A motorhome in the vicinity of 130 East and 300 South in Ivins caught fire at approximately 4:30 p.m. today, threatening nearby residences.
Neighbors were first alerted to the fire when they saw smoke seeping from its windows and leaped into action. Several grabbed a garden house and attempted to douse the flames, while others called 911.
“We’re still in the process of evaluating the cause,” said Captain Jay Randall of the Santa Clara/Ivins Public Safety Department. “The fire started on the inside and burned out.”
The motorhome was a complete loss. However, no damage to the house was reported, even though the vehicle was parked only eight feet away.
No injuries were reported. The homeowners are believed to be on vacation; authorities are attempting to reach them. Their names, along with the exact address of the house, have not been released.
“Their good neighbors and our quick response prevented (the fire) from getting worse,” Randall said. “We’re pleased with the outcome, aside from the loss of the motorhome, of course.”
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, 2012, all rights reserved.