ST GEORGE – With the recent shooting in Colorado in a crowded movie theater, I have fielded many questions on how best to protect yourself if you are caught in an active shooter situation.
Recently, the City of Houston and the Department of Homeland Security created a list of items that each of us needs to think about if we are caught in an active shooter situation:
- Run if a safe path is available. Always try and escape or evacuate even if others insist on staying.
- Encourage others to leave with you but don’t let the indecision of others slow down your own efforts to escape.
- Once you are out of the line of fire, try to prevent others from waking into the danger zone and call 911.
- If you can’t get out safely, find a place to hide.
- When hiding, turn out lights, remember to lock doors and silence your ring and vibration mode on your cell phone.
- As a last resort, working together or alone, act with agression, use improvised weapons and fight.
Remember this is a situation where someone is actively shooting at you and others. None of us can predict when the unthinkable may happen and an active shooter situation may unfold. The better educated we are, the better our chances for survival are.
Submitted by: Capt. James Van Fleet, St. George Police Department